Toyota Motor Europe (TME) posted first half sales of 424,862 Toyota and Lexus vehicles in a market that sharply contracted due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
These results represent a decrease of 26.5% on the same period in 2019 but Toyota said it outperformed the total European market which dropped by 36%. In the same period, Toyota and Lexus market share climbed 0.8 ppts to 6.1%, driven by demand for its hybrid electric vehicles. TME’s overall hybrid sales mix remained high at 51%, increasing to 63% in West Europe.
Toyota said it is aiming to achieve at least 950,000 sales in 2020, which is 13% less than 2019 in a market that could be down by 25%. “We’ll need to maintain our recent market share growth to achieve this volume. We are benefiting from our wide range of low CO2 hybrid models and are looking forward to launching the all-new Yaris with our 4th generation hybrid system. We’ve re-set our 2020 plans on an ambitious path but recognise that there remains a lot of uncertainty ahead,” said Matthew Harrison, Executive Vice President Toyota Motor Europe.
Toyota’s best sellers, Yaris, Corolla HB, Touring Sports & Sedan and RAV4 delivered around half of the brand’s total 395,267 sales across this period. Hybrid electric vehicles made up 50% of the total Toyota mix, while Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sports and Toyota C-HR HEV respective shares were in excess of 90%.
Lexus’s first 6 months sales of 29,595, while declining 27% year on year, also outperformed the market, with hybrid electric vehicles dominating its sales in most markets, especially its SUV range, RX, NX and UX representing 75% of total volume. Overall, the brand achieved a 63% overall hybrid mix across the first 6 months, and 99% in West Europe.
TME highlights in H1 2020:
- Total sales: 424,862 (-26.5% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.1% (+0.8 ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 217,884 (-28% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 63% – East Europe: 20% – TTL: 51%
Toyota highlights in H1 2020:
- Toyota sales: 395,267 (-27% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (83,005); Corolla Range (82,513); RAV4 Range (62,036)
- Top hybrids: Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (50,484); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (45,433); Yaris Hybrid (38,481);
- Total hybrid sales: 199,102 (-27% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 61% – East Europe*: 22% – TTL: 50%
Lexus highlights in H1 2020:
- Total Lexus sales: 29,595 (-27% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (7,664); RX Range (7,616); UX Range (6,879)
- Top gainers: GX range (+74%)
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (6,461); NX Hybrid (5,299); RX Hybrid (2,498);
- Total hybrid sales: 18,782 (-33% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% – East Europe*: 8% – TTL: 69%