View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
November 23, 2018

Renault commits to suppliers as Ghosn stays silent

Interim Renault CEO, Thierry Bolloré, says it will make working with its suppliers a priority while the French automaker attempts to make sense of what is happening to Carlos Ghosn in Japan

By Rhodri Morgan

Interim Renault CEO, Thierry Bolloré, says it will make working with its suppliers a priority while the French automaker attempts to make sense of what is happening to Carlos Ghosn in Japan.

Bolloré, will be in charge of the continuity of the Executive Committee of the Group, following Ghosn’s arrest in Tokyo this week (19 November) by Japanese authorities.

Renault partner, Nissan has been investigating Ghosn and representative director, Greg Kelly regarding what the Japanese manufacturer says is “misconduct,” although no statement has yet been released by the pair as to their views.

“We will make sure we guarantee our stability and stay focused on our missions, preserve the interest of the Renault Group and the stability of our Alliance,” said Bolloré in a message broadcast to the manufacturer’s 180,000 employees across the globe.

“Our priorities are clear. We continue to work in collaboration with our partners including our suppliers to ensure the satisfaction of our customers. To our 180,000 staff around the world, as well as to all our customers and partners, I would like to say you can count on my full commitment.

“The Renault board has put in place a temporary management of which I was appointed delegate director general – a responsibility which I take very seriously.”

The degree to which the situation has powered rapidly up the political ladder – the French State still owns 15% of Renault – can be gauged by a meeting between the Finance Ministers of France and Japan yesterday to discuss Ghosn’s incarceration in Tokyo and what happens next to the Alliance.

Bruno Le Maire and Hiroshige Seko met in Paris to discuss the matter against a backdrop of Ghosn’s sacking from Nissan but with Renault insisting on a “presumption of innocence.”

“On the question of the Alliance formed between Renault and Nissan, the two Ministers exchanged points of view and information concerning the situation,” said comments from the Quai d’Orsay (Foreign Ministry)  sent to just-auto from Paris.

“They reaffirmed they had already declared on 20 November, the significant support of the French and Japanese governments for the Alliance and their shared backing to maintain this winning cooperation.”

French suppliers association, FIEV (Fédération des Industries des Equipements pour Véhicules) was not immediately available for comment.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Monday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every quarter.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Just Auto