Chinese truck maker Dongfeng Commercial Vehicles Company plans to aggressively expand its medium and heavy-duty vehicle operations in Thailand, according to local reports.

Senior vice-president for overseas business, Jean-Noel Thenault, told local reporters his company, which is 45% owned by Sweden's Volvo group, plans to establish an ASEAN regional base for right-hand drive trucks and buses in Thailand.

This follows Dongfeng's decision last year to establish an ASEAN base for left-hand drive commercial vehicles in Vietnam. Thenault said the Vietnamese joint venture now sells around 7,000 vehicles annually and has set a similar target for its Thai operations.

The company established a local distribution company in Thailand last year, Dong Sheng Motor Thailand, in partnership with the local Tadee group. It has an 80% stake in the company while Tadee controls the remaining 20%.

By 2025, Dongfeng aims to supply between 5-10% of the Thai medium and heavy commercial vehicle market which is currently dominated by Japanese manufacturers such as Hino and Isuzu, followed by Fuso and UD Trucks.