Yanfeng has detailed plans to expand its global presence, leveraging the existing footprint of Yanfeng Automotive Interiors (YFAI), as well as increasing the company’s Smart Cabin product portfolio.

In 2015, Yanfeng and the former Johnson Controls (now Adient) established the YFAI joint venture, with Yanfeng holding 70% equity and Adient holding the remaining 30% equity.

In July 2020, YFAI became a wholly-owned entity of Yanfeng, as Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems acquired the 30% stake held by Adient. YFAI was the first Yanfeng business to operate outside China.

Yanfeng is now expanding its seating and safety systems businesses into Europe and North America, leveraging YFAI’s global platform to further enhance its global product offering.

“Five years ago, we established YFAI,” said Yanfeng CEO, Gerald Jia. “This was our first business unit to expand outside of China. As a next step, we are leveraging YFAI to accelerate our growth plans and support other business units of Yanfeng during globalization.

“This positions us as a global supplier with broad innovation capabilities, that has the ability to offer Yanfeng’s Smart Cabin solutions to customers not just in China, but throughout the world.”

From an innovation perspective, the company is further developing Yanfeng’s Smart Cabin product offerings, adding new products throughout its interiors, seating, smart products, passive safety and cockpit electronics portfolio.

Several of these innovations, including the Smart Cabin Controller, the Smart Steering Wheel and the Zero Gravity Seat, are in the Experience in Motion 2021 (XiM21) concept car, which Yanfeng unveiled in Germany during a virtual customer and media event on 17 September.

The XiM21 will spend several months in Europe for customer visits and then will debut in North America in 2021.