A consortium of US and Middle East business interests from America and the Middle East, headed by Prodrive founder and world rally championship owner David Richards, is expected today to hand over about GBP500m to buy Aston Martin from Ford, a UK newspaper reported on Friday.


“It’s a done deal. All that remains is to cross the Ts and dot the Is,” a senior source told The Daily Telegraph earlier this week at the Geneva motor show.


The paper said Prodrive, which runs Aston Martin’s works racing team and has worked with the company for many years, has emerged ahead of the remaining bidders Doughty Hanson and Syrian property businessman Simon Halabi.


The Telegraph noted that the rumoured price of £500m was about half what Ford was asking when it first put the company up for sale six months ago.


According to the report, Ford, a lead supplier of component parts at preferential rates, is expected to maintain an interest in the maker of specialist luxury sports cars.


Current Aston Martin chief executive Ulrich Bez will remain in day-to-day charge of the company and Richards will head up the supervising board, the Daily Telegraph added.