The new Smart joint venture between Geely Holding (Geely) and Mercedes-Benz formally registered as ‘smart Automobile Co. Ltd.’ in Hangzhou Bay, Ningbo, China at the end of 2019 has established ‘smart Europe GmbH’ as a wholly owned subsidiary to supply, sell and service future smart vehicles in the European market.
The Smart brand is planning a new all-electric vehicle architecture that will become the foundation for the brand’s entry into the premium B-segment range with its first products tentatively set to launch from 2022.
Smart confirms global executive team
With a course set for a new generation of vehicles, the Smart brand has named the executive team to support Chief Executive Officer, Xiangbei Tong:
- Daniel Lescow has been appointed Vice President of Sales, Marketing and After Sales. He brings several years of experience in growing the smart brand and has spent six years working in the Chinese market.
- With over 25 years of experience in the automotive industry, Jun Yang will take charge of technical development as Vice President Research & Development. He has strong experience in leading full vehicle programs at Geely Holding’s subsidiary brands.
- Ulf Nestler will serve as the Vice President Finance and Chief Financial Officer. For the past eight years, he has contributed to the strong growth of Mercedes-Benz in China.
Smart Europe’s international team
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
As a wholly owned subsidiary, Smart Europe will be located in Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Stuttgart. With an international team, the newly established company will manage all Sales, Marketing and Aftersales activities of the next generation of smart vehicles, products and services in the European markets.
- After holding several Executive Sales & Marketing roles in the global Mercedes-Benz network, Dirk Adelmann successfully transformed Smart into an electric-only brand on the retail level and has been appointed as the CEO of Smart Europe by Xiangbei Tong. In his new role, he will focus on establishing a highly efficient and customer-centric business model by leveraging the full potential of the joint venture between Mercedes-Benz and Geely for the European markets.
- Martin Günther as an experienced Finance and Controlling Executive within the Mercedes-Benz Aftersales organization has been appointed as the CFO of smart Europe GmbH.