Thai industrial park operator Rojana Industrial Park is joining forces with US based Evlomo to build an electric vehicle (EV) battery production plant in Chonburi, just east of Bangkok.

The two partners planned to invest just over US$1bn with the Thai listed company taking a 55% stake and Florida-based Evlomo owning the remaining 45%.

The plant, to be built in Nong Yai district, would ultimately have a production capacity of 8 gigawatt hours (GWh) of batteries and is expected to create some 3,000 jobs.

The plan would supply manufacturers of electric and hybrid-powered passenger and commercial vehicles across the ASEAN region.

It would also target the stationary energy storage market.

Under the agreement, the first stage of the project involved investing US$143m to build 1GWh of capacity within 18-24 months.

In March Evlomo announced plans to roll out a network of fast charging EV stations across Thailand in collaboration with Australian DC charger manufacturer Tritium.

Evlomo’s local joint venture, Evlomo Technologies Company, wants to build Thailand’s largest EV charging network based on fast charging points with capacities of up to 350kW compatible with all major EV models.

Earlier this month, the US company signed an agreement with Thailand’s PTT Oil and Retail (PTTOR) to build a network of EV fast charging stations in the Eastern Economic Corridor.

PTTOR, the retail unit of Thailand’s largest energy company PTT, has 2,290 petrol stations, 3,440 coffee shops under its Cafe Amazon brand and manages 2,040 convenience stores nationwide.