NSK has announced that NSK-Warner K.K. (NWC), an equity method affiliate, has decided to establish a new plant in Mexico.
Objective of establishing the plant
NWC operates manufacturing plants at three locations, in Japan, China, and Indonesia, and a sales subsidiary in the US. The company globally supplies products that underpin smooth and highly efficient gear shifting in automotive automatic transmissions.
Demand for automotive automatic transmissions is increasing with expansion of the automobile market in North America. Moreover, automatic transmission technology has been evolving to improve mileage, and demand for NWC’s products, which contribute to greater automatic transmission efficiency, has been increasing as a result.
NWC decided to establish a new plant in Mexico to meet growing demand in the future as well as to pursue cost competitiveness and shorter delivery times through local production. With the establishment of this new plant, the NSK Group will continue to expand its global automotive business.
Overview of the plant
- Plant name: NSK-Warner Mexico
- Location: Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico
- Production items: Products for automotive automatic transmissions (clutch assemblies)
- Size of plant: Site area of approximately 50,000m2 and building floor space of approximately 10,000m2
- Number of employees: Around 120 in 2019 (approximately 30 at the time operations commence)
- Commencement of operations: Planed for July 2017
- Investment amount: About JPY2bn (US$0.01981bn)