According to Dow Jones, UMW Toyota Motor, a unit of Malaysian automotive group UMW Holdings, said on Friday it plans to sell more than 30,000 vehicles in 2003, up from 27,355 in 2002.

UMW Toyota assistant general manager of corporate planning Ng Peng Hiew told Dow Jones Newswires the higher sales expected this year will come from new models the company will introduce during the year.
Ng also noted the sales of the Toyota Camry, which was launched in Malaysia in the middle of last year, will be recorded for the full year. That will likely help push the company’s sales higher.

He said the facelift Toyota Unser model, which was introduced earlier this month, has received “very good” response from local consumers.

UMW Holdings owns a 51% stake in UMW Toyota, while Japan’s Toyota Motor holds the remaining 49%.

Last year, Toyota was the third most popular make in the country after Malaysia’s national cars of Proton and Perodua.