According to a Dow Jones report, DaimlerChrysler AG has said that it has reached an agreement with workers over the possible sale of its MB Lenkungen steering systems unit.

According to reports yet to be confirmed by the companies themselves, DaimlerChrysler and engineering group ThyssenKrupp plan to form a joint venture to build steering systems. An IG Metall union representative told Reuters that under the plan Thyssen would take a 60 percent stake in the joint venture, with Daimler holding the remaining 40 percent.

The possibility of industrial action by workers opposed to the plan has already emerged.

The joint venture could involve the shifting of some of the activity of Mercedes-Benz Lenkungen GmbH to Schoenebeck near Magdeburg in eastern Germany from its current location at Duesseldorf, the IG Metall union told Reuters.

The Handelsblatt newspaper reported earlier this week that workers at Lenkungen might cut two overtime shifts this weekend to protest against the agreement.