Former Nissan and Renault chief Carlos Ghosn is to spend longer in jail after his recent re-arrest on new charges.
But Tokyo District Court extended his detention by eight days after a judge refused prosecutors' requests for the maximum 10 days, a decision that public broadcaster NHK said was rare, according to a Sky News report.
Ghosn was due out on Sunday but the extension gives prosecutors until 22 April to bring formal charges against him or let him go.
Ghosn was arrested for the fourth time last week, accused of trying to enrich himself by US$5m (GBP3.8m) at Nissan's expense.
Ghosn's defence team has described his latest arrest as "illegal".
On Tuesday, Ghosn reiterated he was "innocent" in a video released by his lawyer.
Ghosn had said via Twitter last week he would hold a press conference on Thursday 11 April but was re-arrested on additional charges the day after as Renault cut his pay and pension.
Ghosn also described himself as the victim of "a conspiracy" in a video that was recorded before his arrest last week.
"I am innocent," Ghosn said.
He said he loved both Nissan and Japan and had served around 20 years with the company. He said the automaker's performance was not good and that there had been several profit warnings in recent years.
He denied he had been making plans that threatened the future autonomy of the company.
He also said the Alliance appeared to have no vision for its future.