Amazon has revealed its first custom electric delivery vehicle, designed and built in partnership with Rivian.
The company has committed to be net zero carbon by 2040 and 10,000 custom electric delivery vehicles will be on the road delivering worldwide as early as 2022 with all 100,000 in use by 2030. This is one of three different models that Amazon has invested in and completely customised with Rivian.
- Sensor detection, a suite of highway and traffic assist technology, and a large windshield to enhance driver visibility.
- Exterior cameras around the vehicle that are linked to a digital display inside the cabin, giving the driver a 360-degree view outside the vehicle.
- Alexa integration for hands-free access to route information and the latest weather updates.
- A strengthened door on the driver’s side for additional protection.
- A ‘dance floor’ inside the driver’s cabin for easy movement inside the van.
- Bright tail lights surrounding the rear of the vehicle to easily detect braking.
- Three levels of shelving with a bulkhead door, which can easily be opened and closed for additional driver protection while on the road.
Prior to investing in Rivian, Amazon was unable to find electric options that met the needs of its drivers and delivery operations. Instead of waiting for the industry to advance, Amazon partnered with Rivian to accelerate the path to an electric delivery vehicle that fit its needs.
Amazon recently announced it was adding 500 electric delivery vehicles to its fleet here in the UK this year as part of an order of 1,800 electric vehicles from Mercedes-Benz Vans for its European fleet.