just-auto.com

Peugeot appoints new distributor for Thailand

By just-auto.com editorial team | 18 July 2019

PSA Group has appointed Master Group Corporation Asia (MGC) as the sole authorised importer and distributor of Peugeot brand vehicles in Thailand.

MGC has established a new subsidiary, Belfort Automobile (Thailand) Company, to handle the Peugeot operations from next month.

The company has not been appointed to import and market Citroen vehicles, however, with PSA expected to announce a separate deal shortly.

The agreement brings to an end a decades long partnership with Thai distributor European Motor Cars Company which is run by the Leenutaphong family and still markets BMW, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Honda, Nissan and Maserati in Thailand.

Belfort said it would launch its Peugeot marketing operations at the Big Motor Sale show to be held at the Bitec exhibition centre in Bangkok between 16 and 25 August.

It plans to launch six Peugeot models in coming months, starting with the Malaysian-assembled 3008 and also the 5008.

European Motor Cars will continue to provide aftersales service for Peugeot until the end of August.

Joerg Breuer, Belfort's newly appointed chief executive, said the company would soon open its first flagship Peugeot showroom and service centre in Bangkok to be followed by the appointment of local dealers in 10 provinces in the short term.

PSA has a 61% stake in a vehicle assembly plant in Gurun in the Malaysian state of Kedah which has an annual production capacity of 75,000 units and builds the 3008 and Citroen C5 Aircross. Malaysia's Naza Corporation Holdings owns the remaining 39% of the equity. 

Gurun exported its first batch of 3008 vehicles earlier this month, to the Philippines, with exports to Thailand set to follow shortly.

These cars benefit from zero import duty in countries within the ASEAN free trade agreement region, including Thailand.