just-auto.com

GERMANY: Daimler denies Sindelfingen cuts planned

By Graeme Roberts | 25 September 2012

Daimler has no plans to cut working hours at its largest car plant Sindelfingen, a spokesman said on Tuesday (25 September).

A person familiar with the situation had told Reuters on Monday Daimler was planning to cut production at Sindelfingen, as deteriorating markets in Europe and China hit sales at its Mercedes-Benz Cars unit.

Labour representatives and management are currently negotiating shift plans, the person told Reuters.

After warning last week on profits at Mercedes, Daimler said it would come up with a cost savings programme, which sources had told Reuters would total over EUR1bn (US$1.3bn) but not include job cuts.

Daimler's CEO Dieter Zetsche said at the time the group was gearing up for a "challenging environment" in Europe and China.