Kamaz and ZF Friedrichshafen AG have started work on a second gearbox production project.

In 2005, the companies set up a joint venture called ZF Kama to first assemble and then produce gearboxes for Kamaz trucks. The German company owns 51% in the joint venture, while Kamaz owns the remaining 49%.

Prime-Tass reports that Kamaz has started building a new facility for the production of gearboxes. The factory is expected to reach the projected annual production capacity of up to 90,000 gearboxes by 2012.

This year, ZF Kama is expected to produce 16,000 gearboxes and Kamaz has also decided to cease production of its own gearboxes, according to Prime-Tass.