Hyundai Motor said on Friday it would suspend talks to set up a truck joint venture with DaimlerChrysler AG until the German company resolves a controversial deal with a Chinese car maker, Reuters reported.

The news agency noted that Hyundai Motor said earlier this week a pact signed last month between DaimlerChrysler and Beijing Automotive Industry Holdings violated an agreement between Hyundai and the Chinese car maker that prevented Beijing Automotive from seeking other vehicle partners.

"We will suspend talks (on the joint venture) with Daimler," Hyundai spokesman Jake Jang told Reuters, adding: "We won't sit down and talk until Daimler makes a better clarification on the controversial deal."

The news agency noted that DaimlerChrysler rejected Hyundai's claim on Thursday as Eckhard Cordes, head of its trucks unit, told reporters there must have been a misunderstanding on Hyundai's part and that the German group had informed Hyundai of its plan.

Reuters added that DaimlerChrysler, which owns 10% of Hyundai, is seeking to deepen its ties with the company by launching a 50/50 joint venture in South Korea to manufacture trucks.