Both sides in South Africa's latest automotive strike are due to meet this Wednesday (25 September), as the walkout involving up to 100,000 workers enters its third week.

Staff in the component, petrol station, panel-beaters, car and spare parts, fitment workshops, truck body and trailer builders industries, as well as dealerships, downed tools on 9 September, only shortly after the previous and costly automotive manufacturing strike ended, but the Motor Industry Bargaining Council (MIBCO) is now attempting to broker a deal.

"We are busy putting together what I believe will be a deal when we meet on Wednesday," MIBCO convenor for components of South Africa, Mark Roberts, told just-auto. "We have offered a three-year deal.

"The unions are saying they want 10%, 10%, 10% and we have proposed something in the region of 8%, 7%, 7% over three years. The whole shopping basket of items has been taken off the table.

"We have also agreed certain provisions that will ensure stability. There was a proposal from their side for a vehicle allowance, but we said unfortunately, we can't."

Roberts added once any agreement was concluded no further claims could be made as the deal "has got to go the distance."

There had been suggestions of violence and intimidation during the dispute, but the MIBCO components convenor noted this had calmed down.

The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) was not immediately available for comment.

Auto market intelligence
from just-auto

• Auto component fitment forecasts
• OEM & tier 1 profiles & factory finder
• Analysis of 30+ auto technologies & more