Blog: Why is the new 4 Series GC smaller than the 3 Series GT?
Glenn Brooks | 4 February 2014
Is it just me who wonders what BMW is up to by launching a second rival for the Audi A5 Sportback? And what's with the strange model names?
When I saw the GranTurismo at last year's Geneva motor show I thought this car was way too big to be a 3 Series: it's 4,824mm long and has the same 2,920mm wheelbase as China's extended 3 Series sedan, the Li.
Given the higher number in the model name, you'd think that the new 4 Series Gran Coupé, another five-door hatchback for the D segment, would be sized between the 3 and 5. Except that it isn't. In fact, it's smaller than the 3 Series GT.
The 4 GC measures 4,638mm from end to end and here's something revealing: the wheelbase is the same 2,810mm as the 4 Series coupe and convertible, and also identical to the 3 Series sedan and Touring. Does BMW need to swap the badges on the 3 GT and 4 GC? I'd say yes.
Given the attention Tesla EVs attract, it's easy to forget entrepreneur and founder Elon Musk has fingers in other pies - notably operating space ships. Which can be a bit risky....
Chinese automaker BYD has suspended exports to Russia, blaming the conflict with the Ukraine and the depressed Russian currency for its lack of sales....
The replacement for the Cadillac SRX has been photographed in production form. Could this be the most convincing vehicle yet for the brand's sometimes overly edgy design?...
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2015 Mazda CX-5 & future CUVs
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- UK auto sector delivering on growth
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- Infrastructure and logistics make Brazil costly
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2029