Blog: Why is the new 4 Series GC smaller than the 3 Series GT?
Glenn Brooks | 4 February 2014
Is it just me who wonders what BMW is up to by launching a second rival for the Audi A5 Sportback? And what's with the strange model names?
When I saw the GranTurismo at last year's Geneva motor show I thought this car was way too big to be a 3 Series: it's 4,824mm long and has the same 2,920mm wheelbase as China's extended 3 Series sedan, the Li.
Given the higher number in the model name, you'd think that the new 4 Series Gran Coupé, another five-door hatchback for the D segment, would be sized between the 3 and 5. Except that it isn't. In fact, it's smaller than the 3 Series GT.
The 4 GC measures 4,638mm from end to end and here's something revealing: the wheelbase is the same 2,810mm as the 4 Series coupe and convertible, and also identical to the 3 Series sedan and Touring. Does BMW need to swap the badges on the 3 GT and 4 GC? I'd say yes.
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
Could this be the car to wrest control of the UK's B-hatchback class away from the Fiesta? With Ford of Europe extending the current model's lifecycle out to eight years, Vauxhall might just get lucky...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
SEAT has sent a drone up to film outside and inside its 2.8 million m2 Martorell plant....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)