Blog: Why is the new 4 Series GC smaller than the 3 Series GT?
Glenn Brooks | 4 February 2014
Is it just me who wonders what BMW is up to by launching a second rival for the Audi A5 Sportback? And what's with the strange model names?
When I saw the GranTurismo at last year's Geneva motor show I thought this car was way too big to be a 3 Series: it's 4,824mm long and has the same 2,920mm wheelbase as China's extended 3 Series sedan, the Li.
Given the higher number in the model name, you'd think that the new 4 Series Gran Coupé, another five-door hatchback for the D segment, would be sized between the 3 and 5. Except that it isn't. In fact, it's smaller than the 3 Series GT.
The 4 GC measures 4,638mm from end to end and here's something revealing: the wheelbase is the same 2,810mm as the 4 Series coupe and convertible, and also identical to the 3 Series sedan and Touring. Does BMW need to swap the badges on the 3 GT and 4 GC? I'd say yes.
The US presidential campaigning that seems to go on forever is something that can look a little perplexing at times to overseas observers....
Audi has suspended two engineers after its larger diesel engines were found evading emissions limits in the United States, Audi CEO Rupert Stadler told a newspaper....
Despite notable increases in exports to North America and Europe, due to changed sourcing patterns, Honda production in Japan dipped 0.7% year on year in October to 75,448 units....
News just in from China suggests a Toyota joint venture there - via a new China-only brand - is readying what might be a decent five door hatchback rival for Nissan's well-entrenched Leaf EV....
Following the appearance of those infamous S90 pics a couple of months back, now it's the turn of the V90 to hit the web - as a model car....
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - Connecting cars in Canada
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen diesel recall in Europe will take year
- Toyota u-turns on Takata inflators in Japan
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030