Blog: Why is the new 4 Series GC smaller than the 3 Series GT?
Glenn Brooks | 4 February 2014
Is it just me who wonders what BMW is up to by launching a second rival for the Audi A5 Sportback? And what's with the strange model names?
When I saw the GranTurismo at last year's Geneva motor show I thought this car was way too big to be a 3 Series: it's 4,824mm long and has the same 2,920mm wheelbase as China's extended 3 Series sedan, the Li.
Given the higher number in the model name, you'd think that the new 4 Series Gran Coupé, another five-door hatchback for the D segment, would be sized between the 3 and 5. Except that it isn't. In fact, it's smaller than the 3 Series GT.
The 4 GC measures 4,638mm from end to end and here's something revealing: the wheelbase is the same 2,810mm as the 4 Series coupe and convertible, and also identical to the 3 Series sedan and Touring. Does BMW need to swap the badges on the 3 GT and 4 GC? I'd say yes.
BMW is about to announce an alliance to develop self-driving cars in alliance with Mobileye and Intel, according to a Reuters report....
Dr Johan van Zyl, President and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe, has told reporters that his company respects the decision of the British people in its recent EU referendum and that the company will "study...
I'm starting to get a small idea of the scale of things here in China, but really, I'm only scratching the surface of this vast country....
Given the startling complexity of obtaining a journalist visa for China - the code 'J2' is now indelibly stamped on my mind - it was with some surprise how swiftly I managed to sail through airport im...
- What does 'Brexit' mean for the auto sector?
- Ford's future models and platforms
- The self-driving Volvo is getting closer
- And so Brexit begins - The Week That Was
- Arxan Technologies on cyber security - Q&A
- "No trade barriers" says FKG amid Brexit fallout
- Volkswagen scandal - Porsche plunges into the red
- Aston Martin lost GBP127.9m in 2015
- VDA warns against post-Brexit customs barriers
- Shocked CLEPA to discuss Brexit in Madrid
- Jaguar Land Rover: Adapting the original SUV & turning middle class Britishness into a business asset
- Tesla Motors, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Automotive Megatrends
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market - forecasts to 2030