Blog: Why is the new 4 Series GC smaller than the 3 Series GT?
Glenn Brooks | 4 February 2014
Is it just me who wonders what BMW is up to by launching a second rival for the Audi A5 Sportback? And what's with the strange model names?
When I saw the GranTurismo at last year's Geneva motor show I thought this car was way too big to be a 3 Series: it's 4,824mm long and has the same 2,920mm wheelbase as China's extended 3 Series sedan, the Li.
Given the higher number in the model name, you'd think that the new 4 Series Gran Coupé, another five-door hatchback for the D segment, would be sized between the 3 and 5. Except that it isn't. In fact, it's smaller than the 3 Series GT.
The 4 GC measures 4,638mm from end to end and here's something revealing: the wheelbase is the same 2,810mm as the 4 Series coupe and convertible, and also identical to the 3 Series sedan and Touring. Does BMW need to swap the badges on the 3 GT and 4 GC? I'd say yes.
Here's a really heart-warming story about how some of the technology currently being used to develop autonomous cars was used to really make a former racing driver's day....
Jiangling brand Landwind is causing waves at Shanghai with its X7 SUV that bears a very strong resemblance to Land Rover's hugely successful Range Rover Evoque....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- COMMENT: Volkswagen's Piech got a lot right
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- ANALYSIS: VW & Toyota losing the SUV race in China
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- Piech ploy over Winterkorn fail, VW chairman quits
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- BREAKING NEWS: Piëch quits Volkswagen board
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029