Blog: What Shanghai Volkswagen's new Changsha plant will build
Glenn Brooks | 17 May 2013
The SVW joint venture has just announced its new 300,000/annum plant for Changsha in Hunan province. But what models will be made there?
I've just added some new information to PLDB, the global vehicle database that I created and maintain for just-auto. So far, it would appear that two vehicles will be manufactured at Changsha. I'll give you a hint about one of them - it will also be built in the US, and we saw it not so long ago as a concept.
If you're already a PLDB subscriber, just search by Changsha and you'll see the latest Volkswagen Group models to have been updated.
Making cars where you sell them makes sense on a number of grounds. It can be a way to save on shipping costs, exploit lower manufacturing costs, avoid import tariffs and reduce exchange rate risks....
The Paris Show seems a long time ago now, but I have been sent a link to a BBC news item in which just-auto's editor makes a brief appearance....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- COMMENT: FKG keeps ears on the track in Gothenburg
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- UK: Vauxhall goes after Ford with Corsa pricing
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report