Blog: View from Japan
Dave Leggett | 8 January 2013
I recently noted the insightful remarks of VDA President Matthias Wissmann concerning the mood of German consumers and the weakness of the German car market. The economic data may point one way right now, but how people are generally feeling may say something a little different.The really interesting observation is the insight into the state of the German national psyche - what people are talking about, their current concerns and how they feel about the future.
In a similar vein, I have come across an address from JAMA President Akio Toyoda which offers some interesting insights into how people are feeling in Japan. Yes, economic malaise in Japan has been entrenched for a very long time, but he suggests the particular crises that have hit Japan in recent years have “triggered a basic change in the Japanese people - namely, an inclination to rediscover past values that had gradually faded in contemporary society”. Interesting to see how he relates the change to business also. Worth a read.
Making cars where you sell them makes sense on a number of grounds. It can be a way to save on shipping costs, exploit lower manufacturing costs, avoid import tariffs and reduce exchange rate risks....
The Paris Show seems a long time ago now, but I have been sent a link to a BBC news item in which just-auto's editor makes a brief appearance....
It was interesting to speak with UK prime minister David Cameron yesterday. I didn't have much time, so I went for the European question....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- COMMENT: FKG keeps ears on the track in Gothenburg
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- UK: Vauxhall goes after Ford with Corsa pricing
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report