Blog: View from Japan
Dave Leggett | 8 January 2013
I recently noted the insightful remarks of VDA President Matthias Wissmann concerning the mood of German consumers and the weakness of the German car market. The economic data may point one way right now, but how people are generally feeling may say something a little different.The really interesting observation is the insight into the state of the German national psyche - what people are talking about, their current concerns and how they feel about the future.
In a similar vein, I have come across an address from JAMA President Akio Toyoda which offers some interesting insights into how people are feeling in Japan. Yes, economic malaise in Japan has been entrenched for a very long time, but he suggests the particular crises that have hit Japan in recent years have “triggered a basic change in the Japanese people - namely, an inclination to rediscover past values that had gradually faded in contemporary society”. Interesting to see how he relates the change to business also. Worth a read.
Ford has continued its idea of assembling a Mustang high up inside a skyscraper. First it was done in New York, now in Dubai. But look closely at who was putting the car together....
Some interesting observations here on road safety, its costs and the risks you may run if you choose to cycle or walk, rather than drive, in some places....
Ken Block is back. In a Ford. But it's not a Fiesta....
Tesla Motors tends not to issue factual, dry media releases. Take this one, its most recent, concerning some upgrades made at its Fremont factory....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: All eyes on Vienna
- ANALYSIS: Opel-Vauxhall and Buick's shared future
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI
- INTERVIEW: Alain Uyttenhoven, Head of Lexus Europe
- PLDB Future Models - LA & Guangzhou shows insights
- 2014 GUANGZHOU SHOW: World premieres list
- BMW tests Google Glass eyewear for quality checks
- Opel/Vauxhall to produce new SUV at Rüsselsheim
- 2014 LA SHOW: World debuts list [final version]
- JLR announces new connectivity platform/app