Blog: View from Japan
Dave Leggett | 8 January 2013
I recently noted the insightful remarks of VDA President Matthias Wissmann concerning the mood of German consumers and the weakness of the German car market. The economic data may point one way right now, but how people are generally feeling may say something a little different.The really interesting observation is the insight into the state of the German national psyche - what people are talking about, their current concerns and how they feel about the future.
In a similar vein, I have come across an address from JAMA President Akio Toyoda which offers some interesting insights into how people are feeling in Japan. Yes, economic malaise in Japan has been entrenched for a very long time, but he suggests the particular crises that have hit Japan in recent years have “triggered a basic change in the Japanese people - namely, an inclination to rediscover past values that had gradually faded in contemporary society”. Interesting to see how he relates the change to business also. Worth a read.
An interesting video clip on YouTube shows Martin Winterkorn and his entourage looking over a Hyundai at a motor show....
It's been quite a week for Volkswagen. The unfolding diesel emissions scandal is one of those stories that, as journalists love to say, has legs....
Claimed 'first spy shots' of the redesigned 2016 Buick LaCrosse have been obtained by a Chinese autos website. This is the Chinese variant which will be made by the Shanghai-GM joint venture and is in...
Never mind your Chinese BMW and Land Rover knock-offs. How about this copy of a 1961 Rolls-Royce Phantom?...
- VW’s crisis and the changed world of corporate PR
- ANALYSIS: Mazda humiliates Toyota in Germany
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Range Rover Evoque Brazil build
- Q&A: Hella on tomorrow’s ADAS cameras and sensors
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Audi S8 & future models
- SWEDEN: Volvo S60 a victim of XC90's success
- ADAS seeing ‘unprecedented growth'
- Volkswagen board slashes investment EUR1bn a year
- Ford announces $1.8bn China R&D spend
- VW withdraws most 2016 US diesels
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030