Blog: View from Japan
Dave Leggett | 8 January 2013
I recently noted the insightful remarks of VDA President Matthias Wissmann concerning the mood of German consumers and the weakness of the German car market. The economic data may point one way right now, but how people are generally feeling may say something a little different.The really interesting observation is the insight into the state of the German national psyche - what people are talking about, their current concerns and how they feel about the future.
In a similar vein, I have come across an address from JAMA President Akio Toyoda which offers some interesting insights into how people are feeling in Japan. Yes, economic malaise in Japan has been entrenched for a very long time, but he suggests the particular crises that have hit Japan in recent years have “triggered a basic change in the Japanese people - namely, an inclination to rediscover past values that had gradually faded in contemporary society”. Interesting to see how he relates the change to business also. Worth a read.
Here's a really heart-warming story about how some of the technology currently being used to develop autonomous cars was used to really make a former racing driver's day....
Jiangling brand Landwind is causing waves at Shanghai with its X7 SUV that bears a very strong resemblance to Land Rover's hugely successful Range Rover Evoque....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- Briefing: GM's OnStar system planned for Europe
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- A LOOK AROUND: Honda Swindon plant for Civic duty
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- BMW to recall 91,800 US Mini Coopers
- Lotus celebrates production milestone
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2029