Blog: Toyota kills off the Lexus LFA
Glenn Brooks | 11 December 2012
It's hard to believe that the Lexus LFA's brief two year lifecycle is up already. And as 2012 draws to a close, other manufacturers are winding down production of various more long-lived vehicles too.
As part of the constant checks made on all the vehicles in PLDB, just-auto's current and future model database, archiving is always taking place but there's quite a few being deep-sixed just now. As well as Lexus' first supercar, Fiat has just stopped building the second generation Punto and Lancia Musa, the ancient Chevrolet Chevy is no longer made in Mexico and Ford of Europe is replacing the Kuga.
If you're wondering about that Lexus, Toyota stated at the time of launch (December 2010) that it would build the car for just two years so the LFA's time is up. With production numbers said to have tallied just 500 units, this car has collector's item written all over it.
Given the attention Tesla EVs attract, it's easy to forget entrepreneur and founder Elon Musk has fingers in other pies - notably operating space ships. Which can be a bit risky....
The replacement for the Cadillac SRX has been photographed in production form. Could this be the most convincing vehicle yet for the brand's sometimes overly edgy design?...
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT: Review of front-end modules
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- UK auto sector delivering on growth
- Infrastructure and logistics make Brazil costly
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2029