Blog: Toyota kills off the Lexus LFA
Glenn Brooks | 11 December 2012
It's hard to believe that the Lexus LFA's brief two year lifecycle is up already. And as 2012 draws to a close, other manufacturers are winding down production of various more long-lived vehicles too.
As part of the constant checks made on all the vehicles in PLDB, just-auto's current and future model database, archiving is always taking place but there's quite a few being deep-sixed just now. As well as Lexus' first supercar, Fiat has just stopped building the second generation Punto and Lancia Musa, the ancient Chevrolet Chevy is no longer made in Mexico and Ford of Europe is replacing the Kuga.
If you're wondering about that Lexus, Toyota stated at the time of launch (December 2010) that it would build the car for just two years so the LFA's time is up. With production numbers said to have tallied just 500 units, this car has collector's item written all over it.
We're digesting the news that TRW will be (subject to the usual approvals) acquired by ZF. Looks like ZF has paid top dollar....
Here we are again. September 11. On that day in 2001, I was in Frankfurt at the auto show....
With the Fiat-Chrysler merger now appearing to be on the final straight, this Non Sequitur cartoon about post-merger scenarios gave me a coffee break giggle....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- ZF UK axle factory marks 10 years of JLR supply
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report