Blog: Suzuki and VW
Dave Leggett | 15 January 2013
A look at Suzuki's share price suggests that investors have been taking a highly positive view of prospects for the company in recent months. You may recall that it decided to exit the US market (on cars, not on motorcycles and some other products), where it was losing money, not so long ago. Suzuki then decided to focus on Asia, which makes sense strategically – given the company's product strengths. Industrial relations issues in India also seem to have calmed down.
There is, however, still a knotty problem involving the rather acrimonious break-up with Volkswagen. The erstwhile strategic partners are locked in conflict (lawyers at dawn) because VW is clinging on to a 19.9% stake in Suzuki. Suzuki is trying to force it to give that up (it effectively bars Suzuki from other OEM partnerships). This has been rumbling along since late 2011. I gather a final arbitration is now in prospect.
Interesting to note that VW is now talking about a low-cost brand aimed squarely at emerging markets, especially in Asia. That might have been something that Suzuki could have helped with...
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
SEAT has sent a drone up to film outside and inside its 2.8 million m2 Martorell plant....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- INTERVIEW: Ford Europe COO Barb Samardzich
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018