Blog: SMMT Annual Dinner
Dave Leggett | 28 November 2012
The venue for the mass eat-in (1,100 diners from across the UK automotive sector, all dressed up in their finest penguin suits and frocks), was The Grosvenor, Park Lane - central London
The SMMT annual dinner last night was the usual agreeable fare. I was there as a guest of GKN and managed to squeeze in a very quick interview at the pre-dinner reception with Robert Rickell, GKN Driveline's Global Engineering Director (below link). It's not every day that you conduct an interview while standing with a glass of wine in one hand.
The general atmosphere from the people I spoke to seemed quite positive. Obviously there are challenges and issues out there, but there are also some positive stories, interesting innovations and so on. The UK situation isn't quite as bad as the picture in some other European countries. And, besides last night's decent feed, I'd give SMMT some plaudits for the recent 'meet the funder' event it put on; a very thoughtful initiative that should help smaller suppliers gain access to funding for much-needed investments.
By the way, the after dinner speaker last night - that's him on stage in the pic - was TV writer and satirist/comic (not sure exactly how to describe him) Alexander Armstrong. I have seen a few after dinner speakers at these affairs and I'd say he was one of the best I have seen for some time...easy listening, some very good topical lines, clearly not a major ego, and he didn't try to be clever with auto industry observations that can often seem laboured or tired cliches. And he kept it short, which never does any harm.
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
SEAT has sent a drone up to film outside and inside its 2.8 million m2 Martorell plant....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report