Blog: Ratan Tata interview
Dave Leggett | 5 December 2012
Some interesting insights and observations from Ratan Tata in this interview.
The approach that Tata took with JLR when it went in there certainly confounded a few sceptics. What Mr Tata has to say about the UK's manufacturing sector in general is also certainly of interest.
If UK plc put many of its eggs in the financial services sector over past decades (to the detriment of manufacturing), 'rebalancing' with a resurgent manufacturing sector will certainly not happen overnight. In ten years' time, London will still be an international financial centre. But hopefully, by then, the UK economy will also have a very vibrant and high added value manufacturing sector, led by companies like JLR. There is at least plenty of evidence that policymakers in the UK are aware of the need to create the right conditions for manufacturing companies here (not least in today's Autumn Statement).
Given the attention Tesla EVs attract, it's easy to forget entrepreneur and founder Elon Musk has fingers in other pies - notably operating space ships. Which can be a bit risky....
The replacement for the Cadillac SRX has been photographed in production form. Could this be the most convincing vehicle yet for the brand's sometimes overly edgy design?...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029