Blog: Ratan Tata interview
Dave Leggett | 5 December 2012
Some interesting insights and observations from Ratan Tata in this interview.
The approach that Tata took with JLR when it went in there certainly confounded a few sceptics. What Mr Tata has to say about the UK's manufacturing sector in general is also certainly of interest.
If UK plc put many of its eggs in the financial services sector over past decades (to the detriment of manufacturing), 'rebalancing' with a resurgent manufacturing sector will certainly not happen overnight. In ten years' time, London will still be an international financial centre. But hopefully, by then, the UK economy will also have a very vibrant and high added value manufacturing sector, led by companies like JLR. There is at least plenty of evidence that policymakers in the UK are aware of the need to create the right conditions for manufacturing companies here (not least in today's Autumn Statement).
Let me begin 2016 by wishing everyone reading this a very Happy New Year! If you had a festive break, I hope it was a good one. It seemed to pass rather quickly for me, as ever....
- Clio R.S. 220 Trophy & future Renaults
- Q&A - Visteon CEO Sachin Lawande
- THE WEEK - New car, mergers, results, Iran
- COMMENT - Detroit basks but for how long?
- Yanfeng Automotive Interiors VP Q&A
- Ford Europe looks to cut staff
- Geneva premieres list - Bentley Mulsanne facelift
- Spreading virus prompts Tata to re-name new model
- 2016 Delhi Auto Expo - world premieres list
- Toyota to axe Scion youth brand