Blog: Ratan Tata interview
Dave Leggett | 5 December 2012
Some interesting insights and observations from Ratan Tata in this interview.
The approach that Tata took with JLR when it went in there certainly confounded a few sceptics. What Mr Tata has to say about the UK's manufacturing sector in general is also certainly of interest.
If UK plc put many of its eggs in the financial services sector over past decades (to the detriment of manufacturing), 'rebalancing' with a resurgent manufacturing sector will certainly not happen overnight. In ten years' time, London will still be an international financial centre. But hopefully, by then, the UK economy will also have a very vibrant and high added value manufacturing sector, led by companies like JLR. There is at least plenty of evidence that policymakers in the UK are aware of the need to create the right conditions for manufacturing companies here (not least in today's Autumn Statement).
Well, the news today that the Top Gear presenter trio plus producer Andy Wilman will produce a new show broadcast on the Amazon Prime video streaming service comes as no great surprise....
Car companies that do other things besides making cars always provide a certain fascination....
Its official debut might be just under two months away at the Frankfurt IAA, but the mid-life refresh for the 911 has been seen in public. The pics have appeared, inevitably, on FaceBook....
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- Briefing: Tomorrow's steering systems
- ANALYSIS: New Corsa VXR & future Opels/Vauxhalls
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- General Motors' $1bn plan includes Halol closure
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- Negative pricing pressure in China - Ford
- Iranian suppliers mull UK/US cooperation hope
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030