Blog: Ratan Tata interview
Dave Leggett | 5 December 2012
Some interesting insights and observations from Ratan Tata in this interview.
The approach that Tata took with JLR when it went in there certainly confounded a few sceptics. What Mr Tata has to say about the UK's manufacturing sector in general is also certainly of interest.
If UK plc put many of its eggs in the financial services sector over past decades (to the detriment of manufacturing), 'rebalancing' with a resurgent manufacturing sector will certainly not happen overnight. In ten years' time, London will still be an international financial centre. But hopefully, by then, the UK economy will also have a very vibrant and high added value manufacturing sector, led by companies like JLR. There is at least plenty of evidence that policymakers in the UK are aware of the need to create the right conditions for manufacturing companies here (not least in today's Autumn Statement).
Making cars where you sell them makes sense on a number of grounds. It can be a way to save on shipping costs, exploit lower manufacturing costs, avoid import tariffs and reduce exchange rate risks....
The Paris Show seems a long time ago now, but I have been sent a link to a BBC news item in which just-auto's editor makes a brief appearance....
It was interesting to speak with UK prime minister David Cameron yesterday. I didn't have much time, so I went for the European question....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- COMMENT: FKG keeps ears on the track in Gothenburg
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- UK: Vauxhall goes after Ford with Corsa pricing
- Next Audi A8 will be 'autonomous'-capable
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report