Blog: Ratan Tata interview
Dave Leggett | 5 December 2012
Some interesting insights and observations from Ratan Tata in this interview.
The approach that Tata took with JLR when it went in there certainly confounded a few sceptics. What Mr Tata has to say about the UK's manufacturing sector in general is also certainly of interest.
If UK plc put many of its eggs in the financial services sector over past decades (to the detriment of manufacturing), 'rebalancing' with a resurgent manufacturing sector will certainly not happen overnight. In ten years' time, London will still be an international financial centre. But hopefully, by then, the UK economy will also have a very vibrant and high added value manufacturing sector, led by companies like JLR. There is at least plenty of evidence that policymakers in the UK are aware of the need to create the right conditions for manufacturing companies here (not least in today's Autumn Statement).
We're digesting the news that TRW will be (subject to the usual approvals) acquired by ZF. Looks like ZF has paid top dollar....
Here we are again. September 11. On that day in 2001, I was in Frankfurt at the auto show....
With the Fiat-Chrysler merger now appearing to be on the final straight, this Non Sequitur cartoon about post-merger scenarios gave me a coffee break giggle....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda Civic Type R & VW Passat GTE
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- Opel/Vauxhall issues 'do not drive' warning
- Ford's Americas chief sees 17m light vehicle sales
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)