Blog: Online retailing
Dave Leggett | 22 November 2012
Buying a car is always going to be a little bit more complicated than buying a book from Amazon. Isn't it?
Well, traditional automotive retailing models have not been seriously disrupted by the emergence of online shopping over the past decade.
If you are going to purchase a car, it's never been easier to do your own research online and then walk into the dealer armed with facts and figures over the car spec you want and the price that you are prepared to pay. But the physical act of visiting a showroom and talking to a salesman remains at the heart of the process.
Will that continue to be the case? The consultants at Arthur D Little have been considering the issues. One interesting change in the market may be that people move away from the car purchase as an emotional purchase to it becoming more of a rational one (for example, as they shift from direct ownership of a vehicle to personal lease). Online sales channels might be well suited to such a transition - for example in allowing quick and easy 'commodity style' comparisons. The car becomes a utility purchase, like switching household energy provider perhaps. Anyway, it's an interesting report (below link to summary, there's a PDF available for more detail).
The US presidential campaigning that seems to go on forever is something that can look a little perplexing at times to overseas observers....
News just in from China suggests a Toyota joint venture there - via a new China-only brand - is readying what might be a decent five door hatchback rival for Nissan's well-entrenched Leaf EV....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - Connecting cars in Canada
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Audi suspends two engineers over US diesel V6
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- BMW launches fully online car buying process
- Honda postpones new Brazil plant opening
- Ferrari arranges loan facility
- Autonomous Vehicles: Divergent futures
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electric motors market- forecasts to 2030