Blog: Online retailing
Dave Leggett | 22 November 2012
Buying a car is always going to be a little bit more complicated than buying a book from Amazon. Isn't it?
Well, traditional automotive retailing models have not been seriously disrupted by the emergence of online shopping over the past decade.
If you are going to purchase a car, it's never been easier to do your own research online and then walk into the dealer armed with facts and figures over the car spec you want and the price that you are prepared to pay. But the physical act of visiting a showroom and talking to a salesman remains at the heart of the process.
Will that continue to be the case? The consultants at Arthur D Little have been considering the issues. One interesting change in the market may be that people move away from the car purchase as an emotional purchase to it becoming more of a rational one (for example, as they shift from direct ownership of a vehicle to personal lease). Online sales channels might be well suited to such a transition - for example in allowing quick and easy 'commodity style' comparisons. The car becomes a utility purchase, like switching household energy provider perhaps. Anyway, it's an interesting report (below link to summary, there's a PDF available for more detail).
We're digesting the news that TRW will be (subject to the usual approvals) acquired by ZF. Looks like ZF has paid top dollar....
Here we are again. September 11. On that day in 2001, I was in Frankfurt at the auto show....
With the Fiat-Chrysler merger now appearing to be on the final straight, this Non Sequitur cartoon about post-merger scenarios gave me a coffee break giggle....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- Ford lowers 2014 pre-tax profit outlook
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report