Blog: Online retailing
Dave Leggett | 22 November 2012
Buying a car is always going to be a little bit more complicated than buying a book from Amazon. Isn't it?
Well, traditional automotive retailing models have not been seriously disrupted by the emergence of online shopping over the past decade.
If you are going to purchase a car, it's never been easier to do your own research online and then walk into the dealer armed with facts and figures over the car spec you want and the price that you are prepared to pay. But the physical act of visiting a showroom and talking to a salesman remains at the heart of the process.
Will that continue to be the case? The consultants at Arthur D Little have been considering the issues. One interesting change in the market may be that people move away from the car purchase as an emotional purchase to it becoming more of a rational one (for example, as they shift from direct ownership of a vehicle to personal lease). Online sales channels might be well suited to such a transition - for example in allowing quick and easy 'commodity style' comparisons. The car becomes a utility purchase, like switching household energy provider perhaps. Anyway, it's an interesting report (below link to summary, there's a PDF available for more detail).
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
SEAT has sent a drone up to film outside and inside its 2.8 million m2 Martorell plant....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report