Blog: Mitsubishi claims up to 148mpg for Outlander PHEV
Glenn Brooks | 6 February 2013
Speaking at today's media launch of the new Outlander, Mitsubishi Motors UK managing director Lance Bradley said he expects the forthcoming plug-in hybrid variant to return up to 147.9mpg.
The European Commission is yet to issue official consumption figures for the PHEV version of Mitsubishi's new SUV, the first shipments of which are due to land in the UK in June. Pricing will be "highly competitive", Bradley claimed, but would not reveal a number just yet.
This, the world's first production car with permanent four-wheel drive and electric propulsion, had its global debut at the Paris motor show four months back and went on sale in Japan, its first market, in January.
When fully charged, the Outlander PHEV's electric motors and petrol engine give it a range of up to 800km with its CO2 average rated at below 50g/km. Driving in EV mode, you can travel as fast as 75mph, or if you take it easier with the right foot, you can see a range of up to 50km from battery power alone.
A review of the PHEV will have to wait a few months more until the UK media launch takes place but keep an eye on just-auto in the coming days for my thoughts on the new Outlander diesel.
With RHD Tesla cars only going on sale in the UK in recent weeks, it's way too early to be talking about the ownership experience. But in the US, it's a different story....
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- Regulatory concerns grow in China
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- Cadillac takes on Merc S Class
- ZF's TRW plans hit a Bosch hitch - report
- Serious concern on Russia auto sanction rumours
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times