Blog: Mercedes reveals 6x6 drive for the G-Class
Glenn Brooks | 15 March 2013
The Australian army has just replaced its Land Rovers with some of these. And why wouldn't they?
'Taking the desert by storm' is the subtle headline which accompanies today's press release announcing what Mercedes-Benz is calling the G 63 AMG 6x6 show vehicle.
Thirty four years young, the G-Wagon is still being produced in Austria by Magna Steyr but this has to be is the best version yet: 400kW (544hp) turbo V8, 6x6 drive, five diff locks, portal axles, 37-inch tyres and one metre of river-fording clearance. What's not to love?
I've read about this vehicle before - Magna has built a handful of them for the Australian army - but this is the first time that a civilian version has been made. Well, just two have been built, in fact. Will more be made? Here's what Daimler's statement has to say: "The response to the near-series show vehicle will determine if and when the Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 enters small-series production." Shall we start a petition?
Sadly, returned vets don't always get the help they need, returning to civvy life with physical and mental scars yet to heal fully....
The hype over Tesla's so-called 'Gigafactory' is reaching new levels with the release of drone footage showing its sheer size....
LMC Automotive has a forecasting event with a very strong European focus coming up....
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- General Motors' platform strategy decoded
- Peugeot steps up a gear with new 3008
- Ford recalls 271,000 F-150s for brake job
- Romanian PM asks Ford for more
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle turbochargers market - forecasts to 2030