Blog: Mercedes reveals 6x6 drive for the G-Class
Glenn Brooks | 15 March 2013
The Australian army has just replaced its Land Rovers with some of these. And why wouldn't they?
'Taking the desert by storm' is the subtle headline which accompanies today's press release announcing what Mercedes-Benz is calling the G 63 AMG 6x6 show vehicle.
Thirty four years young, the G-Wagon is still being produced in Austria by Magna Steyr but this has to be is the best version yet: 400kW (544hp) turbo V8, 6x6 drive, five diff locks, portal axles, 37-inch tyres and one metre of river-fording clearance. What's not to love?
I've read about this vehicle before - Magna has built a handful of them for the Australian army - but this is the first time that a civilian version has been made. Well, just two have been built, in fact. Will more be made? Here's what Daimler's statement has to say: "The response to the near-series show vehicle will determine if and when the Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 enters small-series production." Shall we start a petition?
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018