Blog: Mercedes reveals 6x6 drive for the G-Class
Glenn Brooks | 15 March 2013
The Australian army has just replaced its Land Rovers with some of these. And why wouldn't they?
'Taking the desert by storm' is the subtle headline which accompanies today's press release announcing what Mercedes-Benz is calling the G 63 AMG 6x6 show vehicle.
Thirty four years young, the G-Wagon is still being produced in Austria by Magna Steyr but this has to be is the best version yet: 400kW (544hp) turbo V8, 6x6 drive, five diff locks, portal axles, 37-inch tyres and one metre of river-fording clearance. What's not to love?
I've read about this vehicle before - Magna has built a handful of them for the Australian army - but this is the first time that a civilian version has been made. Well, just two have been built, in fact. Will more be made? Here's what Daimler's statement has to say: "The response to the near-series show vehicle will determine if and when the Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 enters small-series production." Shall we start a petition?
Here's a really heart-warming story about how some of the technology currently being used to develop autonomous cars was used to really make a former racing driver's day....
Jiangling brand Landwind is causing waves at Shanghai with its X7 SUV that bears a very strong resemblance to Land Rover's hugely successful Range Rover Evoque....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- COMMENT: Volkswagen's Piech got a lot right
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- ANALYSIS: VW & Toyota losing the SUV race in China
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- Piech ploy over Winterkorn fail, VW chairman quits
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- BREAKING NEWS: Piëch quits Volkswagen board
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029