Blog: Mercedes reveals 6x6 drive for the G-Class
Glenn Brooks | 15 March 2013
The Australian army has just replaced its Land Rovers with some of these. And why wouldn't they?
'Taking the desert by storm' is the subtle headline which accompanies today's press release announcing what Mercedes-Benz is calling the G 63 AMG 6x6 show vehicle.
Thirty four years young, the G-Wagon is still being produced in Austria by Magna Steyr but this has to be is the best version yet: 400kW (544hp) turbo V8, 6x6 drive, five diff locks, portal axles, 37-inch tyres and one metre of river-fording clearance. What's not to love?
I've read about this vehicle before - Magna has built a handful of them for the Australian army - but this is the first time that a civilian version has been made. Well, just two have been built, in fact. Will more be made? Here's what Daimler's statement has to say: "The response to the near-series show vehicle will determine if and when the Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 enters small-series production." Shall we start a petition?
It's been quite a week for Volkswagen. The unfolding diesel emissions scandal is one of those stories that, as journalists love to say, has legs....
Claimed 'first spy shots' of the redesigned 2016 Buick LaCrosse have been obtained by a Chinese autos website. This is the Chinese variant which will be made by the Shanghai-GM joint venture and is in...
Never mind your Chinese BMW and Land Rover knock-offs. How about this copy of a 1961 Rolls-Royce Phantom?...
- COMMENT: Tesla Model X - the elephant in the room
- Europe diesel forecasts revised down
- COMMENT: Where will VW 'emissionsgate' end?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Volkswagen, diesel, recalls
- PSA Peugeot Citroen CEO Carlos Tavares interview
- Prosecutors u-turn on Winterkorn probe
- Defiant Bosch backs diesel but quiet on Volkswagen
- Volkswagen UK recalls 1.2m group diesels
- VW may recall up to 11m cars
- Tesla starts Model X deliveries
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electric motors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE glazing market- forecasts to 2030