Blog: Mercedes reveals 6x6 drive for the G-Class
Glenn Brooks | 15 March 2013
The Australian army has just replaced its Land Rovers with some of these. And why wouldn't they?
'Taking the desert by storm' is the subtle headline which accompanies today's press release announcing what Mercedes-Benz is calling the G 63 AMG 6x6 show vehicle.
Thirty four years young, the G-Wagon is still being produced in Austria by Magna Steyr but this has to be is the best version yet: 400kW (544hp) turbo V8, 6x6 drive, five diff locks, portal axles, 37-inch tyres and one metre of river-fording clearance. What's not to love?
I've read about this vehicle before - Magna has built a handful of them for the Australian army - but this is the first time that a civilian version has been made. Well, just two have been built, in fact. Will more be made? Here's what Daimler's statement has to say: "The response to the near-series show vehicle will determine if and when the Mercedes-Benz G 63 AMG 6x6 enters small-series production." Shall we start a petition?
The latest issue of Lotus Engineering's proActive is out....
Interesting comment about my earlier blog on US octane ratings from our Brazilian correspondent Fernando Calmon....
Ever been bemused at the low octane ratings of US petrol? Pull up to a pump and you get options like 87, 89, 93....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028