Blog: It's tough being a European supercar owner
Graeme Roberts | 26 October 2012
McLaren's 12C Spider: if you can afford one, you might need to hide it from the taxman...
The last thing you might have expected as a supercar owner is the apparent downside in some European countries right now of being a bit too, well, conspicuous, as this article published in Australia, explains.
This is not, apparently a problem to the uber-rich young men from the Middle East who, at enormous expense, fly McLarens, Ferraris and Lamborghinis into London for a 'summer season' of blasting around while keeping one step in front of The Law and parking wardens - not always successfully as the odd gleeful tabloid newpaper shot of a clamped supercar shows.
If the name Wayne Bruce rings a bell, he's the one-time Nissan PR supremo who launched Infiniti in Europe and recently moved to McLaren.
He's not wrong about the new use of astroturf, either. Exactly the same trick was cited by wealthy British expats in Thursday night's reality series about the Greek island of Corfu, currently showing on ITV here in the UK.
The latest issue of Lotus Engineering's proActive is out....
Interesting comment about my earlier blog on US octane ratings from our Brazilian correspondent Fernando Calmon....
Ever been bemused at the low octane ratings of US petrol? Pull up to a pump and you get options like 87, 89, 93....
This three and a bit minutes video takes you inside the soon to be expanded plant where BMW makes the new X4....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028