Blog: It's tough being a European supercar owner
Graeme Roberts | 26 October 2012
McLaren's 12C Spider: if you can afford one, you might need to hide it from the taxman...
The last thing you might have expected as a supercar owner is the apparent downside in some European countries right now of being a bit too, well, conspicuous, as this article published in Australia, explains.
This is not, apparently a problem to the uber-rich young men from the Middle East who, at enormous expense, fly McLarens, Ferraris and Lamborghinis into London for a 'summer season' of blasting around while keeping one step in front of The Law and parking wardens - not always successfully as the odd gleeful tabloid newpaper shot of a clamped supercar shows.
If the name Wayne Bruce rings a bell, he's the one-time Nissan PR supremo who launched Infiniti in Europe and recently moved to McLaren.
He's not wrong about the new use of astroturf, either. Exactly the same trick was cited by wealthy British expats in Thursday night's reality series about the Greek island of Corfu, currently showing on ITV here in the UK.
I'm starting to get a small idea of the scale of things here in China, but really, I'm only scratching the surface of this vast country....
Given the startling complexity of obtaining a journalist visa for China - the code 'J2' is now indelibly stamped on my mind - it was with some surprise how swiftly I managed to sail through airport im...
- What does 'Brexit' mean for the auto sector?
- The self-driving Volvo is getting closer
- And so Brexit begins - The Week That Was
- Arxan Technologies on cyber security - Q&A
- Active suspension systems - briefing
- "No trade barriers" says FKG amid Brexit fallout
- Volkswagen scandal - Porsche plunges into the red
- Aston Martin lost GBP127.9m in 2015
- VDA warns against post-Brexit customs barriers
- Shocked CLEPA to discuss Brexit in Madrid
- Jaguar Land Rover: Adapting the original SUV & turning middle class Britishness into a business asset
- Tesla Motors, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Automotive Megatrends
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle turbochargers market - forecasts to 2030