Blog: It's tough being a European supercar owner
Graeme Roberts | 26 October 2012
McLaren's 12C Spider: if you can afford one, you might need to hide it from the taxman...
The last thing you might have expected as a supercar owner is the apparent downside in some European countries right now of being a bit too, well, conspicuous, as this article published in Australia, explains.
This is not, apparently a problem to the uber-rich young men from the Middle East who, at enormous expense, fly McLarens, Ferraris and Lamborghinis into London for a 'summer season' of blasting around while keeping one step in front of The Law and parking wardens - not always successfully as the odd gleeful tabloid newpaper shot of a clamped supercar shows.
If the name Wayne Bruce rings a bell, he's the one-time Nissan PR supremo who launched Infiniti in Europe and recently moved to McLaren.
He's not wrong about the new use of astroturf, either. Exactly the same trick was cited by wealthy British expats in Thursday night's reality series about the Greek island of Corfu, currently showing on ITV here in the UK.
The US presidential campaigning that seems to go on forever is something that can look a little perplexing at times to overseas observers....
News just in from China suggests a Toyota joint venture there - via a new China-only brand - is readying what might be a decent five door hatchback rival for Nissan's well-entrenched Leaf EV....
Following the appearance of those infamous S90 pics a couple of months back, now it's the turn of the V90 to hit the web - as a model car....
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Yes, some car companies do good things – COMMENT
- Integrated Canadian test cells impress OEMs
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Canada "needs to turn automakers back" from Mexico
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030