Blog: Good-bye and good luck, Mr SMMT
Graeme Roberts | 3 December 2012
Among other things, Everitt is an avid tweeter
The news will be largely overshadowed in the wider world by reports of the Royal Baby but those in the UK autobiz will have noted the pending departure of Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) CEO Paul Everitt to pastures new and non-automotive.
I don't think there is anyone on the just-auto staff who hasn't met Everitt, the subject of many interviews and news stories herein during his five years heading the UK auto industry's key trade group.
He has always impressed me as an enthusiastic live wire, and a totally on-message advocate for British Motor Engineering and Manufacturing plc.
On his watch, there have been innovative events such as the recent 'Meet the Funder' gathering in Birmingham while the regular, and much-looked-forward-to, annual Test Day for writers at Millbrook has got even better year by year.
Everitt's tweets from here, there and seemingly everywhere, suggest a schedule more like that of a busy freelance motoring writer than a suit at the top of the pile delegating as much as possible. He knows the industry so well because he's out and about a lot, talking to everyone from engineers to politicians.
Best of British in the new job, Paul.
This is really nicely done - an ingenious way of linking the five-door Civic to the forthcoming, 280+PS Type R....
EV battery range is an interesting area, not least because any discrepancy between claimed range and actual could be pretty significant when margins for error are low and distances travelled are not a...
It's rare that a writer on one publication will take direct aim at another publication's work....
SEAT has sent a drone up to film outside and inside its 2.8 million m2 Martorell plant....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- INTERVIEW: Ford Europe COO Barb Samardzich
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018