Blog: Good-bye and good luck, Mr SMMT
Graeme Roberts | 3 December 2012
Among other things, Everitt is an avid tweeter
The news will be largely overshadowed in the wider world by reports of the Royal Baby but those in the UK autobiz will have noted the pending departure of Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) CEO Paul Everitt to pastures new and non-automotive.
I don't think there is anyone on the just-auto staff who hasn't met Everitt, the subject of many interviews and news stories herein during his five years heading the UK auto industry's key trade group.
He has always impressed me as an enthusiastic live wire, and a totally on-message advocate for British Motor Engineering and Manufacturing plc.
On his watch, there have been innovative events such as the recent 'Meet the Funder' gathering in Birmingham while the regular, and much-looked-forward-to, annual Test Day for writers at Millbrook has got even better year by year.
Everitt's tweets from here, there and seemingly everywhere, suggest a schedule more like that of a busy freelance motoring writer than a suit at the top of the pile delegating as much as possible. He knows the industry so well because he's out and about a lot, talking to everyone from engineers to politicians.
Best of British in the new job, Paul.
Mercedes-Benz has wasted no time in basking in Germany's reflected glory of winning the World Cup on Sunday night and becoming the first side since reunification to lift the golden trophy....
We can forget just how amazing some of the technology in the latest production cars is. This video from HMA is a terrific reminder....
TMC continues to promote Japan's Ha-Mo car sharing scheme via its own i-Road commuter model. The latest promotional video is worth a look....
- Swallowing Fiat-Chrysler 'would be bad for VW'
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Driving the Swedish nanny state
- Audi TDI tech is 25 years of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Roasting in Kia's Mojave oven
- COMMENT: Has ZF fired M&A starting gun with TRW?
- Fiat denies merger talks with VW
- Sir Nick Scheele dies
- ZF lenders OK higher TRW bid
- Next gen Smart fortwo and forfour shown
- Nissan learns from India mistakes
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- New Cars: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018