Blog: Good-bye and good luck, Mr SMMT
Graeme Roberts | 3 December 2012
Among other things, Everitt is an avid tweeter
The news will be largely overshadowed in the wider world by reports of the Royal Baby but those in the UK autobiz will have noted the pending departure of Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) CEO Paul Everitt to pastures new and non-automotive.
I don't think there is anyone on the just-auto staff who hasn't met Everitt, the subject of many interviews and news stories herein during his five years heading the UK auto industry's key trade group.
He has always impressed me as an enthusiastic live wire, and a totally on-message advocate for British Motor Engineering and Manufacturing plc.
On his watch, there have been innovative events such as the recent 'Meet the Funder' gathering in Birmingham while the regular, and much-looked-forward-to, annual Test Day for writers at Millbrook has got even better year by year.
Everitt's tweets from here, there and seemingly everywhere, suggest a schedule more like that of a busy freelance motoring writer than a suit at the top of the pile delegating as much as possible. He knows the industry so well because he's out and about a lot, talking to everyone from engineers to politicians.
Best of British in the new job, Paul.
Ford has continued its idea of assembling a Mustang high up inside a skyscraper. First it was done in New York, now in Dubai. But look closely at who was putting the car together....
Some interesting observations here on road safety, its costs and the risks you may run if you choose to cycle or walk, rather than drive, in some places....
Ken Block is back. In a Ford. But it's not a Fiesta....
Tesla Motors tends not to issue factual, dry media releases. Take this one, its most recent, concerning some upgrades made at its Fremont factory....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: All eyes on Vienna
- ANALYSIS: Opel-Vauxhall and Buick's shared future
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI
- INTERVIEW: Alain Uyttenhoven, Head of Lexus Europe
- PLDB Future Models - LA & Guangzhou shows insights
- 2014 GUANGZHOU SHOW: World premieres list
- BMW tests Google Glass eyewear for quality checks
- Opel/Vauxhall to produce new SUV at Rüsselsheim
- 2014 LA SHOW: World debuts list [final version]
- JLR announces new connectivity platform/app