Blog: FI Monaco race
Dave Leggett | 19 May 2012
I see the Formula 1 circus is next to descend on Monaco. I've always had mixed feelings about that race. On the plus side, what a great place and backdrop. It is a circuit that comes with mega-glamour. The TV pictures bring you the cars in the sunshine, banks of luxury hillside villas and hotels, a few palm trees, a reliably azure sea, the parked up super-yachts, casinos...the mere thought of the sort of people, with their exotic and unobtainable lifestyles, that are actually there. You can see, but don't touch.
The negatives? Main one is that it is virtually impossible to overtake. It's actually a dull race from a driving perpsective, usually decided more by grid positions and pit stops. And also by it's nature, it's not a circuit that will be as safe as the race tracks (though it still seems popular with some drivers).
I recently interviewed Lotus F1 Team technical director James Allison for Lotus Engineering's proActive e-magazine. He had some interesting observations on the sport, his role, technical issues and how competitive he believes the Lotus F1 Team really is, what its strengths are. They're certainly off to a great start this season, both drivers and the new cars doing well. Do you think he likes the travelling? Read the interview and find out...
The latest issue of Lotus Engineering's proActive is out....
Interesting comment about my earlier blog on US octane ratings from our Brazilian correspondent Fernando Calmon....
Ever been bemused at the low octane ratings of US petrol? Pull up to a pump and you get options like 87, 89, 93....
This three and a bit minutes video takes you inside the soon to be expanded plant where BMW makes the new X4....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028