Blog: Christmas is coming
Dave Leggett | 7 November 2012
As soon as Halloween and Guy Fawkes night (November 5 and a British excuse for fireworks) are out of the way, Christmas rears its head as the next big seasonal retail-fest.
OK, retail-fest is probably an understatement for the (ostensibly, at least) religious festival that grips much of the world at the fag-end of the year - consumer mega-binge is more like it. Get ready for the constant exortations, wherever you look, to spend, spend, spend. It's all coming round yet again: Noddy Holder, mince pies, unsavoury Santas in cheap shopping centre 'grottos', the dreaded Christmas card list to review, the office party, Christmas 'specials' on telly, present buying angst and the inescapable Boots ads ('here come the girls' - what again?)...but hey, we love it don't we?
And the first press releases from car manufacturers trumpeting classy (hmm) accessories that might make suitable Christmas presents are now landing in inboxes. Premium priced backgammon set anyone? I've given and received worse, much worse. Must say, I'm rather taken by the 'racing espresso' cups.
With RHD Tesla cars only going on sale in the UK in recent weeks, it's way too early to be talking about the ownership experience. But in the US, it's a different story....
Ah, the old chestnut of the promise of the automotive brand, the core brand values and what the brand says about the driver....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Active safety in the spotlight
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Škoda Octavia estate 4x4
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche 911 Targa 4
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- Bear Grylls, brand ambassador for Land Rover
- Lada production to be cut as sales stall
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- MOSCOW SHOW: Datsun, Lada & Renault debuts
- India regulator doles out fines on parts prices
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times