Blog: Christmas is coming
Dave Leggett | 7 November 2012
As soon as Halloween and Guy Fawkes night (November 5 and a British excuse for fireworks) are out of the way, Christmas rears its head as the next big seasonal retail-fest.
OK, retail-fest is probably an understatement for the (ostensibly, at least) religious festival that grips much of the world at the fag-end of the year - consumer mega-binge is more like it. Get ready for the constant exortations, wherever you look, to spend, spend, spend. It's all coming round yet again: Noddy Holder, mince pies, unsavoury Santas in cheap shopping centre 'grottos', the dreaded Christmas card list to review, the office party, Christmas 'specials' on telly, present buying angst and the inescapable Boots ads ('here come the girls' - what again?)...but hey, we love it don't we?
And the first press releases from car manufacturers trumpeting classy (hmm) accessories that might make suitable Christmas presents are now landing in inboxes. Premium priced backgammon set anyone? I've given and received worse, much worse. Must say, I'm rather taken by the 'racing espresso' cups.
The US presidential campaigning that seems to go on forever is something that can look a little perplexing at times to overseas observers....
News just in from China suggests a Toyota joint venture there - via a new China-only brand - is readying what might be a decent five door hatchback rival for Nissan's well-entrenched Leaf EV....
Following the appearance of those infamous S90 pics a couple of months back, now it's the turn of the V90 to hit the web - as a model car....
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Chinese explosion, investments, lower JLR profit
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030