Blog: Christmas is coming
Dave Leggett | 7 November 2012
As soon as Halloween and Guy Fawkes night (November 5 and a British excuse for fireworks) are out of the way, Christmas rears its head as the next big seasonal retail-fest.
OK, retail-fest is probably an understatement for the (ostensibly, at least) religious festival that grips much of the world at the fag-end of the year - consumer mega-binge is more like it. Get ready for the constant exortations, wherever you look, to spend, spend, spend. It's all coming round yet again: Noddy Holder, mince pies, unsavoury Santas in cheap shopping centre 'grottos', the dreaded Christmas card list to review, the office party, Christmas 'specials' on telly, present buying angst and the inescapable Boots ads ('here come the girls' - what again?)...but hey, we love it don't we?
And the first press releases from car manufacturers trumpeting classy (hmm) accessories that might make suitable Christmas presents are now landing in inboxes. Premium priced backgammon set anyone? I've given and received worse, much worse. Must say, I'm rather taken by the 'racing espresso' cups.
We're digesting the news that TRW will be (subject to the usual approvals) acquired by ZF. Looks like ZF has paid top dollar....
Here we are again. September 11. On that day in 2001, I was in Frankfurt at the auto show....
With the Fiat-Chrysler merger now appearing to be on the final straight, this Non Sequitur cartoon about post-merger scenarios gave me a coffee break giggle....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays