Blog: Christmas is coming
Dave Leggett | 7 November 2012
As soon as Halloween and Guy Fawkes night (November 5 and a British excuse for fireworks) are out of the way, Christmas rears its head as the next big seasonal retail-fest.
OK, retail-fest is probably an understatement for the (ostensibly, at least) religious festival that grips much of the world at the fag-end of the year - consumer mega-binge is more like it. Get ready for the constant exortations, wherever you look, to spend, spend, spend. It's all coming round yet again: Noddy Holder, mince pies, unsavoury Santas in cheap shopping centre 'grottos', the dreaded Christmas card list to review, the office party, Christmas 'specials' on telly, present buying angst and the inescapable Boots ads ('here come the girls' - what again?)...but hey, we love it don't we?
And the first press releases from car manufacturers trumpeting classy (hmm) accessories that might make suitable Christmas presents are now landing in inboxes. Premium priced backgammon set anyone? I've given and received worse, much worse. Must say, I'm rather taken by the 'racing espresso' cups.
I have recently met a man with what you might describe as a bit of a job on his hands....
In the last two days, the Chinese yuan has lost around 3% of its value and that has made headlines. Is it really very significant?...
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- Key trends in the automotive air-con market
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market