Blog: Christmas is coming
Dave Leggett | 7 November 2012
As soon as Halloween and Guy Fawkes night (November 5 and a British excuse for fireworks) are out of the way, Christmas rears its head as the next big seasonal retail-fest.
OK, retail-fest is probably an understatement for the (ostensibly, at least) religious festival that grips much of the world at the fag-end of the year - consumer mega-binge is more like it. Get ready for the constant exortations, wherever you look, to spend, spend, spend. It's all coming round yet again: Noddy Holder, mince pies, unsavoury Santas in cheap shopping centre 'grottos', the dreaded Christmas card list to review, the office party, Christmas 'specials' on telly, present buying angst and the inescapable Boots ads ('here come the girls' - what again?)...but hey, we love it don't we?
And the first press releases from car manufacturers trumpeting classy (hmm) accessories that might make suitable Christmas presents are now landing in inboxes. Premium priced backgammon set anyone? I've given and received worse, much worse. Must say, I'm rather taken by the 'racing espresso' cups.
Given the attention Tesla EVs attract, it's easy to forget entrepreneur and founder Elon Musk has fingers in other pies - notably operating space ships. Which can be a bit risky....
The replacement for the Cadillac SRX has been photographed in production form. Could this be the most convincing vehicle yet for the brand's sometimes overly edgy design?...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029