Blog: China's best sellers of 2012 revealed
Glenn Brooks | 11 January 2013
Data just issued by the China Passenger Car Association lists the country's best selling models.
Shanghai GM's Buick Excelle has topped the charts in the sedan/hatchback category, while the VW Tiguan is the most popular SUV.
Do be cautious in noting the numbers in the MPV/minivan class as the Association clearly classes vehicles such as the Wuling Sunshine and Changan Chana Green Star as LCVs. Let's wait for GM China to issue sales numbers for the Wuling Sunshine and its derivatives - technically, it's a van with seats but it was also the country's best seller in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and that's unlikely to have changed as 2012 drew to a close.
I'm starting to get a small idea of the scale of things here in China, but really, I'm only scratching the surface of this vast country....
Given the startling complexity of obtaining a journalist visa for China - the code 'J2' is now indelibly stamped on my mind - it was with some surprise how swiftly I managed to sail through airport im...
- Brexit could lift UK auto production – Asian view
- Audi S8 plus - if 585PS just isn’t enough power
- Ford and Lincoln future models into the 2020s
- Recalls redux - the week that was
- Rise of the manufacturing ‘bots - Comment
- Mixed reaction to Tesla's latest plans
- Why has Teslamotors.com become Tesla.com?
- General Motors Europe in profit as records tumble
- Hyundai's Genesis G90 outsells German luxury cars
- Ford explores "Tequila bioplastics"