Blog: Cheapskate air-con
Graeme Roberts | 5 December 2012
Ever heard of a swamp cooler? Me neither, until today.
Turns out it's a poor man's car air conditioner from back in the day. Mount to window, fill with ice, let 'er rip.
Looks to me like a variation of the home 'air cooler' which I have known people to buy thinking they were actually getting a portable 'air conditioner'. That requires proper refrigeration, which is how Rolls-Royce used to describe its a/c, also back in the day.
I'm starting to get a small idea of the scale of things here in China, but really, I'm only scratching the surface of this vast country....
Given the startling complexity of obtaining a journalist visa for China - the code 'J2' is now indelibly stamped on my mind - it was with some surprise how swiftly I managed to sail through airport im...
- What does 'Brexit' mean for the auto sector?
- Toyota finally makes an economical Prius
- VW's amazing new 1.0-litre Golf engine - Analysis
- Active suspension systems - briefing
- Monroe riding high on the suspension market
- Ex-VW CEO Winterkorn under investigation
- Fuel economy scandal pushes MMC deep into red
- NEVS drops Saab as it establishes identity
- VW to axe 40 models - report
- Goodwood FoS world premieres - the list (updated)