The automotive business blog from Simon Warburton
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Simon Warburton.
Mercedes-Benz has wasted no time in basking in Germany's reflected glory of winning the World Cup on Sunday night and becoming the first side since reunification to lift the golden trophy...
Lockdown in St Petersburg 23 May 14
It's perhaps no huge surprise security is taken so seriously at this year's Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum, but the sheer scale of the precautions is overwhelming...
Maintaining clearness in St Petersburg 21 May 14
I'm not sure if I expected icebergs floating down the river in St Petersburg in May, but what I certainly didn't bank on was a 30C wall of heat ahead of this year's International Economic Forum (SPIEF), which I'm attending for the first time this week...
Metering expectations 16 Jan 14
Huge sheets of ice are progressing in a stately manner down the Detroit River outside the Cobo and with forecast of snow this afternoon, it will feel more like Michigan in January than yesterday's almost balmy temperatures...
Swish Cobo kicks off Detroit show 14 Jan 14
My first Society of Automotive Analysts (SAA) Outlook Conference yesterday (12 January) afternoon in the renovated Cobo Center in downtown Detroit and a pretty impressive 150 delegates made the sessions lively and entertaining...
Cold no problem for hardy Detroit 11 Jan 14
It'll take more than a Polar Vortex to affect next week's North American International Auto Show, but I bet the organisers in Detroit are breathing a whole lot easier now that -23C temperatures and driving snow have largely disappeared...
Emeritus Professor just the ticket 6 Dec 13
I'm making my way back from last night's Welsh Automotive Forum (WAF) dinner at the Vale Hotel near Cardiff - a venue used by the Wales rugby team whose pictures liberally adorn the walls - and my first time at the event...
Worth stopping in north east France 15 Nov 13
I'm writing this 600ft under the English Channel on the still-impressive Eurostar thundering its way from Lille to London St Pancras after two days spent looking at the series of north-east France automotive clusters...
Networking in Gothenburg 10 Oct 13
My hotel in Gothenburg's hosting an undertaker's company conference - not something I've ever encountered before - but it is and a cheerful bunch they are too...
Autumn has arrived with a vengance in this part of Western Sweden where I am for the FKG Annual Suppliers Forum tomorrow (10 October), a fact made very obvious out of my train window en route from Gothenburg to Saab's hometown of Trollhattan...
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (2)
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- SWEDEN: NEVS/Saab enters administration
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- PARIS DEBUTS: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Concept-S
- CHENGDU SHOW: World premieres
- Kia to build new plant for American markets
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)