GERMANY: ZF 'welcomes' acquisition of GM Strasbourg plant by Punch Metals
"We see industrial logics in the acquisition of the GM plant by Punch," said ZF's Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Stefan Sommer.
"The free production capacities will help us to meet the high demand for our fuel-saving automatic transmissions."
GM and Punch Metals International, a company of the industrial investor Guido Dumarey, reached an agreement at the end of December that secures the long-term future of the GM Powertrain operations in Strasbourg, France.
Punch Metals will acquire the entire Strasbourg operations from GM, including the production plant, the engineering centre and the die casting operation. All current employees of the operations will be maintained by the new owner.
In addition, the transaction includes a long-term supply agreement with ZF - ZF will purchase transmissions (8-speed automatic transmissions) from the Strasbourg facility.
GM said that it will continue to be a customer of the Strasbourg operations during the 2013/2014 period in order to enable the facility to maintain a robust level of activities and to provide for a smooth transition to the new ZF-based product line without impact on employment.
Punch Metals says it plans to make substantial investments into the facility in order to further upgrade its capabilities with the objective to attract additional profitable business from other customers.
The sale is expected to be completed in early 2013.
Management reshuffle-the-deck at General Motors this week....
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
General Motors South Africa (GMSA), with local component manufacturer Tenneco South Africa, has been awarded a ZAR6bn (US$598m) contract to export catalytic converters to North America....
General Motors has announced that it will invest USD691m for its manufacturing operations in Mexico - at Silao, San Luis Potosi and Toluca - to build higher performing, more fuel-efficient powertrain...
A Reuters report says that the Peugeot family may be prepared to cede control of PSA in return for a capital injection from GM....
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- UK auto sector delivering on growth
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029