GERMANY: VW plans four hybrid SUVs
Volkswagen is planning four hybrid SUVs powered by the diesel-electric drivetrain from the CrossBlue concept car revealed at the Detroit show a month ago.
The CrossBlue has now been cleared for production to provide a vital missing link in VW's American line-up but is not targeted at any other parts of the world.
"This is a car for a specific segment which only exists in the USA," said Ulrich Hackenberg, the head of VW product planning and engineering, on the eve of its unveiling.
However, the plug-in hybrid powertrain will be available in three new smaller SUVs which will be offered in Europe.
The first is a replacement for the current Tiguan. There will also be a coupé model based on the Tiguan - similar in concept to BMW's X6 or MINI's forthcoming Paceman - plus a longer-wheelbase seven-seat model. All will use the new VW group vehicle architecture which underpins the seventh-generation Golf, the Audi A3, Skoda's latest Octavia and the new SEAT Leon.
The plug-in drivetrain features two electric motors - one contained within the gearbox at the front and the other on the rear axle - so that cars using it can switch between two- and four-wheel drive on demand.
In the Detroit show car the motors were paired with a TDI diesel engine delivering a combined power output of 303bhp. But they could just as easily operate with other internal combustion engines or alternative power sources such as a hydrogen fuel cell.
Business Monitor International's Algeria Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
After being entertained for the last couple of weeks by Germany v France over Mercedes' choice of air conditioner refrigerant (colleague Simon Warburton has now learned so much about R134a v r1234yf h...
This report has been prepared based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. It covers the global automotive seat market landscape and its growth prospects in the coming years...
Business Monitor International's Croatia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independ...
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Scale and mega-platforms
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- GENEVA: Apple launches car iOS
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- GENEVA: Jaguar names 'small' saloon XE
- JLR reported close to Saudi Arabia factory deal
- GENEVA SHOW: World premieres [final list]
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028