BELGIUM: VW Group grew share in declining 2012 EU car market
Data released by the European carmakers' trade body ACEA shows that the EU car market declined by 16.3% in December and was down 8.2% in 2012 as recession took hold across the region.
The ACEA market figures are consistent with those released for Western Europe by LMC Automotive and published on just-auto earlier this month.
In a statement, ACEA noted that the December decline is the steepest recorded in a month of December since 2008. Over the whole year, demand for new cars in the EU reached the lowest level recorded since 1995, totalling 12,053,904 units. The resulting 8.2% contraction of the EU market (year-on-year) is the most important experienced since the 16.9% downturn in 1993, ACEA said.
In December, most of the major markets recorded a double-digit downturn ranging from -14.6% in France to -16.4% in Germany, -22.5% in Italy and -23.0% in Spain. The UK was the only significant market to post growth (+3.7%). Overall, a total of 799,407 new cars were registered in the EU.
For the year, results were diverse across markets. While the UK expanded (+5.3%) and the German market somewhat contained the decline (-2.9%), Spain (-13.4%), France (-13.9%) and Italy (-19.9%) faced a more severe downturn, leading to an 8.2% overall contraction of the EU car market.
The publication of the ACEA car sales data is also useful because it includes manufacturer sales numbers and market shares.
Strong sales from the Audi and Skoda brands helped market leader VW Group to increase its market share in 2012 (at just under 3m cars sold last year, it was just 1.6% off 2011, for a share of 24.7% versus 23% in 2011).
There were share declines last year for many of the big volume groups, including PSA, Renault, Fiat, GM and Ford. The premium brands fared rather better (Jaguar Land Rover, BMW and Daimler all seeing share gains). It was also a relatively good year for Toyota, while the Koreans – Hyundai and Kia – also recorded further big gains (both volumes and shares up).
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Over 500 vehicles have been updated in our live database of current and future new passenger car product over the past week, and we've added new future models....
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The Volkswagen car brand boosted first half sales 4.4% to 2.91m vehicles worldwide in the first half of 2013. June volume inched up 0.5% to 501,000....
The Volkswagen group is considering moving from CKD kit assembly to full production of some key Audi models in India, according to local reports....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Jeep hacker resigns from Twitter - report
- Ford India to launch three new models by 2017
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030