BELGIUM: VW Group grew share in declining 2012 EU car market
Data released by the European carmakers' trade body ACEA shows that the EU car market declined by 16.3% in December and was down 8.2% in 2012 as recession took hold across the region.
The ACEA market figures are consistent with those released for Western Europe by LMC Automotive and published on just-auto earlier this month.
In a statement, ACEA noted that the December decline is the steepest recorded in a month of December since 2008. Over the whole year, demand for new cars in the EU reached the lowest level recorded since 1995, totalling 12,053,904 units. The resulting 8.2% contraction of the EU market (year-on-year) is the most important experienced since the 16.9% downturn in 1993, ACEA said.
In December, most of the major markets recorded a double-digit downturn ranging from -14.6% in France to -16.4% in Germany, -22.5% in Italy and -23.0% in Spain. The UK was the only significant market to post growth (+3.7%). Overall, a total of 799,407 new cars were registered in the EU.
For the year, results were diverse across markets. While the UK expanded (+5.3%) and the German market somewhat contained the decline (-2.9%), Spain (-13.4%), France (-13.9%) and Italy (-19.9%) faced a more severe downturn, leading to an 8.2% overall contraction of the EU car market.
The publication of the ACEA car sales data is also useful because it includes manufacturer sales numbers and market shares.
Strong sales from the Audi and Skoda brands helped market leader VW Group to increase its market share in 2012 (at just under 3m cars sold last year, it was just 1.6% off 2011, for a share of 24.7% versus 23% in 2011).
There were share declines last year for many of the big volume groups, including PSA, Renault, Fiat, GM and Ford. The premium brands fared rather better (Jaguar Land Rover, BMW and Daimler all seeing share gains). It was also a relatively good year for Toyota, while the Koreans – Hyundai and Kia – also recorded further big gains (both volumes and shares up).
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Over 500 vehicles have been updated in our live database of current and future new passenger car product over the past week, and we've added new future models....
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The Volkswagen car brand boosted first half sales 4.4% to 2.91m vehicles worldwide in the first half of 2013. June volume inched up 0.5% to 501,000....
The Volkswagen group is considering moving from CKD kit assembly to full production of some key Audi models in India, according to local reports....
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030