BRAZIL: VW, GM, slump in brand ratings
The Brand Finance consultancy said General Motors and Volkswagen slumped in the Brazilian ranking of most valuable brands last year, compared to 2008.
The results were expected due to the definite difficulties faced by the two brands. Volkswagen was struck by four recalls for the Gol, the German brand’s flagship in country and the best-seller here for 23 years in a row, in a little over one year.
The consultancy also detected a worsening in service, a field in which VW used to excel with the country's largest service network of over 600 locations.
As for Chevrolet, Brand Finance assessed customer complaints on product quality of models available here. It was also hit by consumer concern over the bankruptcy of the former parent company in the US that was widely reported in Brazil in 2008 and 2009.
The atmosphere at the annual Geneva motor show was pretty positive this year with a welcome return of some real supercars such as a four-wheel drive Ferrari and a new Lamborghini while the polar bear ...
There was no getting away from oil this week at the Geneva show....
Dan Akerson and Nick Reilly's double act came as something of a surprise in Geneva this week....
For once, I escaped being shackled to the laptop for a couple of days this week to sample Toyota's new Verso-S (Ractis in Japan), which, after a gap of some five years, replaces the old and much-loved...
Malaysia's Proton Holdings is discussing technology transfer opportunities with Nissan Motor as it looks to strengthen its new product pipeline and reduce development costs....
The need for common standards for EV charging plugs and infrastructures was a key issue at the Geneva show....
General Motors says it still has some way to go in maintaining its recent positive performance that saw four successive quarters of growth....
Improving overseas shipments boosted five South Korean carmakers' sales in February, according to industry data....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche 911 Targa 4
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Active safety in the spotlight
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Škoda Octavia estate 4x4
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- Bear Grylls, brand ambassador for Land Rover
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- Lada production to be cut as sales stall
- Volvo to skip all-aluminium for carbon fibre
- Volvo XC Classic parts Chinese and Swedish
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times