INDIA: Volvo will use new plant as export hub
Volvo AB will eventually export 30% of capacity at its Indian engine plant, due to open next year, as the truckmaker looks to leverage cost efficiencies from its operations in the country.
Volvo will also increase the annual capacity of the plant by 25% from 80,000 engines by 2016, CEO Olof Persson told reporters in Bangalore.
He said: "The long-term capacity of the engine factory is 100,000 engines and around 30% of that is going out of India into Europe."
Volvo, which operates in India alongside local partner Eicher Motors, joins a growing list of global vehicle makers seeking to use India as a manufacturing hub for parts and components to reduce costs and as an export base to other emerging markets.
Persson added that Volvo will work with Eicher to accelerate local content in the engines produced at the plant in Pithampur, central India.
Volvo AB’s plants in Europe were operating at less than full capacity, the company said last month, and it forecast no truck market growth in the region or in the US next year.
The company, which makes trucks under the Renault, Mack, UD Trucks and Eicher brands as well as its own name, said last month that operating profit for the quarter to September halved from a year previously, as new orders during the period fell 25%.
Quarterly/fiscal full year results continued to roll in this week with a healthy uptick at Suzuki in 2012/3, the latest Japanese automaker to finally shrug off the combined effects of the double whamm...
Despite strong developing competition, Volvo continues to lead in the car safety technologies. Continued work on the improvement of quality and reliability, and above all the safety of users makes the...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global heavy trucks market, major manufacturers, top markets, manufacturing trends and market size forecasts. Use this report t...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
After leading the successful expansion of Porsche in China since 2007, Helmut Bröker is to take over as head of the region covering the Middle East, Africa, India, South-East Asia, Australia/New Zeala...
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (2)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- SWEDEN: NEVS/Saab enters administration
- Volvo to skip all-aluminium for carbon fibre
- Kia to build new plant for American markets
- SWEDEN: Redesign moves XC90 up market in UK
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029