Global sales of 422,00 last year were 6% down on 2011 with falls in Europe (1.3%) and China (11%) more than offsetting gains in the US, Russia, Japan and south-east Asia.
"It was also a fairly weak product year for us," said Speck. "Our only new product was the V60. But I saw the trend reversing in the second half of the year, and confidence was measurably better, so I would expect 2013 to be comparable for us, year on year.
"I believe the market will grow 8 to 9% in China and we will retain our share there. The US will probably grow 5 to 6% and we will protect our share there. The wild card is Europe. Our projection is that it will be down 3 to 4%, but no-one can be certain."
Volvo will have updates to the whole 60 series range starting at the Geneva show in March, and begin introducing its new four-cylinder powertrains at the end of the year, but it will be late 2014 before the first all-new product comes along - a replacement XC90.
"The XC90 has aged beautifully, but it has still aged, and it is a very strategically important car for us," said Speck. "The introduction of a new XC90 will be a very important event for us."
Volvo also needs a new compact car to replace the C30 which goes out of production this year, said Speck. "In Europe we have the V40 but we need something for the rest of the world and we don't yet know what it will be," he added. "Most likely it will be a partnership with someone, and we are already talking to several people. Russia, China and the US want sedans but, from a global point of view, the most important car for that segment would be an XC40."
After it looked a bit like just-auto had become part of the global Toyota PR machine last week, this week, for a day or two at least, you could have been forgiven for thinking we had now 'crossed over...
Over 500 vehicles have been updated in our live database of current and future new passenger car product over the past week, and we've added new future models....
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
Industry production cuts of 1.5m to 2m vehicles in Europe that have occurred or are announced still leave output well above demand, Ford's European chief Stephen Odell said....
Only weeks after launching the new, locally made EcoSport compact crossover in India, Ford has recalled almost 1,000 units to check for a potential problem with the glow plug module used to help start...
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen diesel recall in Europe will take year
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- Toyota u-turns on Takata inflators in Japan
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030