DETROIT: Volvo Car's global ambitions
Global sales of 422,00 last year were 6% down on 2011 with falls in Europe (1.3%) and China (11%) more than offsetting gains in the US, Russia, Japan and south-east Asia.
"It was also a fairly weak product year for us," said Speck. "Our only new product was the V60. But I saw the trend reversing in the second half of the year, and confidence was measurably better, so I would expect 2013 to be comparable for us, year on year.
"I believe the market will grow 8 to 9% in China and we will retain our share there. The US will probably grow 5 to 6% and we will protect our share there. The wild card is Europe. Our projection is that it will be down 3 to 4%, but no-one can be certain."
Volvo will have updates to the whole 60 series range starting at the Geneva show in March, and begin introducing its new four-cylinder powertrains at the end of the year, but it will be late 2014 before the first all-new product comes along - a replacement XC90.
"The XC90 has aged beautifully, but it has still aged, and it is a very strategically important car for us," said Speck. "The introduction of a new XC90 will be a very important event for us."
Volvo also needs a new compact car to replace the C30 which goes out of production this year, said Speck. "In Europe we have the V40 but we need something for the rest of the world and we don't yet know what it will be," he added. "Most likely it will be a partnership with someone, and we are already talking to several people. Russia, China and the US want sedans but, from a global point of view, the most important car for that segment would be an XC40."
After it looked a bit like just-auto had become part of the global Toyota PR machine last week, this week, for a day or two at least, you could have been forgiven for thinking we had now 'crossed over...
Over 500 vehicles have been updated in our live database of current and future new passenger car product over the past week, and we've added new future models....
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
Industry production cuts of 1.5m to 2m vehicles in Europe that have occurred or are announced still leave output well above demand, Ford's European chief Stephen Odell said....
Only weeks after launching the new, locally made EcoSport compact crossover in India, Ford has recalled almost 1,000 units to check for a potential problem with the glow plug module used to help start...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030