SWEDEN: Volvo Car cuts electric car recharging time to 1.5 hours
Volvo Car is testing a new fast-charger for electric cars that cuts recharging time to 1.5 hours.
"We know that short recharging times and extensive operating range are a necessity for potential electric car consumers. The fast-charging unit helps cure what is known as 'range anxiety' since the car can be more easily recharged during the day. And even if you don't have enough time for a 1.5-hour charge, plugging in for just 30 minutes will give you enough power for another 80 kilometres of driving," says Lennart Stegland, vice president electric propulsion systems, Volvo Car.
World's first three-phase on-board charger
The new charger will be installed and evaluated in a number of Volvo C30 electric cars. The new 22 kW fast-charger is the world's first charger that operates on a three-phase supply and is small enough to be fitted in an electric car. It offers the car owner two possibilities:
- Using a three-phase outlet with 32A gives an 80 km range in 30 minutes. A full charge takes 1.5 hours.
- Plugging into an ordinary single-phase 230 V household outlet gives a charging time of 8-10 hours, depending on the available current.
"The user can 'top up' the battery pack with electricity one or more times during the day. This means that the total daily range is significantly extended, yet with the same low operating cost compared to a car with a conventional power train," says Lennart Stegland. "Giving customers more usable hours each day means that electric cars become more viable as a commercial proposition, in both the private and public sectors."
Despite strong developing competition, Volvo continues to lead in the car safety technologies. Continued work on the improvement of quality and reliability, and above all the safety of users makes the...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Truck Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016)...
Volvo Car Group has completed extensive testing of kinetic flywheel technology on public roads - and the results, it claims, confirm that this is a light, cheap and eco-efficient solution....
Detroit Electric, the start-up electric car maker is to partner with China's Geely Automobile to develop EVs for the Chinese market....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028