SWEDEN: Volvo Car cuts electric car recharging time to 1.5 hours
Volvo Car is testing a new fast-charger for electric cars that cuts recharging time to 1.5 hours.
"We know that short recharging times and extensive operating range are a necessity for potential electric car consumers. The fast-charging unit helps cure what is known as 'range anxiety' since the car can be more easily recharged during the day. And even if you don't have enough time for a 1.5-hour charge, plugging in for just 30 minutes will give you enough power for another 80 kilometres of driving," says Lennart Stegland, vice president electric propulsion systems, Volvo Car.
World's first three-phase on-board charger
The new charger will be installed and evaluated in a number of Volvo C30 electric cars. The new 22 kW fast-charger is the world's first charger that operates on a three-phase supply and is small enough to be fitted in an electric car. It offers the car owner two possibilities:
- Using a three-phase outlet with 32A gives an 80 km range in 30 minutes. A full charge takes 1.5 hours.
- Plugging into an ordinary single-phase 230 V household outlet gives a charging time of 8-10 hours, depending on the available current.
"The user can 'top up' the battery pack with electricity one or more times during the day. This means that the total daily range is significantly extended, yet with the same low operating cost compared to a car with a conventional power train," says Lennart Stegland. "Giving customers more usable hours each day means that electric cars become more viable as a commercial proposition, in both the private and public sectors."
Despite strong developing competition, Volvo continues to lead in the car safety technologies. Continued work on the improvement of quality and reliability, and above all the safety of users makes the...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Truck Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016)...
Volvo Car Group has completed extensive testing of kinetic flywheel technology on public roads - and the results, it claims, confirm that this is a light, cheap and eco-efficient solution....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Automotive Powertrain in Thousand Units by the following product segments: Gasoline Powertrain, Diesel Powertrain, and Other Automotive Powertrains (LPG/...
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- INTERVIEW: Ford UK fleet director, Phil Hollins
- ANALYSIS: Scale and mega-platforms
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- GENEVA: Apple launches car iOS
- GENEVA: Jaguar names 'small' saloon XE
- JLR reported close to Saudi Arabia factory deal
- GENEVA SHOW: World premieres [final list]
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028