SWEDEN: Volvo Car cuts electric car recharging time to 1.5 hours
Volvo Car is testing a new fast-charger for electric cars that cuts recharging time to 1.5 hours.
"We know that short recharging times and extensive operating range are a necessity for potential electric car consumers. The fast-charging unit helps cure what is known as 'range anxiety' since the car can be more easily recharged during the day. And even if you don't have enough time for a 1.5-hour charge, plugging in for just 30 minutes will give you enough power for another 80 kilometres of driving," says Lennart Stegland, vice president electric propulsion systems, Volvo Car.
World's first three-phase on-board charger
The new charger will be installed and evaluated in a number of Volvo C30 electric cars. The new 22 kW fast-charger is the world's first charger that operates on a three-phase supply and is small enough to be fitted in an electric car. It offers the car owner two possibilities:
- Using a three-phase outlet with 32A gives an 80 km range in 30 minutes. A full charge takes 1.5 hours.
- Plugging into an ordinary single-phase 230 V household outlet gives a charging time of 8-10 hours, depending on the available current.
"The user can 'top up' the battery pack with electricity one or more times during the day. This means that the total daily range is significantly extended, yet with the same low operating cost compared to a car with a conventional power train," says Lennart Stegland. "Giving customers more usable hours each day means that electric cars become more viable as a commercial proposition, in both the private and public sectors."
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Volvo Car Group has completed extensive testing of kinetic flywheel technology on public roads - and the results, it claims, confirm that this is a light, cheap and eco-efficient solution....
Detroit Electric, the start-up electric car maker is to partner with China's Geely Automobile to develop EVs for the Chinese market....
Inalfa has opened new factories in Chongqing and Langfang in China....
The Volvo group's first quarter of 2013 was characterised by low sales volumes and low capacity utilisation. Net sales for the first quarter declined 25% to SEK58.3bn (US$8.79bn), primarily because of...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- Could the sun be the de-carbonising game changer?
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- VW plans low cost car family
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029