BRAZIL: Volkswagen exports 3m vehicles
A little before the milestone of 60 years of operations in Brazil, due later in this first quarter of 2013, Volkswagen announced it had exported 3m cars and light commercials since 1970.
Northern Hemisphere shipments included a hefty volume of the Voyage (aka Fox in the 1980s) and Golf to the US and Canada plus a later Fox for the European Union.
Like Toyota, the automaker chose Brazil for its first plant outside its homeland. There has long been a focus on exports and vehicles have been shipped to 147 countries so far.
Volkswagen has for decades been the country’s top vehicle automaker and exporter despite losing local market leadership to Fiat 10 years ago.
The Gol, the most exported model of the Brazilian auto industry, totalled 1,121,215 units shipped to 66 countries.
In 2012, the compact, sharing the Polo’s PQ24 architecture from 2008, achieved 26 years of continuous domestic leadership.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Robert Bosch plans to start automotive component manufacturing in Indonesia with an initial spend of EUR10m....
Volkswagen does not expect European sales volumes to increase at any point during the next few years as overall economic gloom continues to grip the Continent....
Suzuki is launching its redesigned SX4 - its predecessor was developed and built jointly with Fiat - but the name might not stick in Europe because the new model is vastly different from the outgoing ...
Market analysts are predicting that June will be another strong month for the recovering US light vehicle market, driven by retail sales....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Panamera 4S
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Vauxhall Adam Rocks Air
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Ford C-MAX & Grand C-MAX facelifts
- Toyota considers the lure of Mexico
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Opel introduces Karl, Vauxhall revives Viva
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Global Automotive Suspension Systems Market 2014-2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)