UK: Unite recommends deal to avoid strike action at JLR
UK labour body, Unite, is recommending its members accept a settlement to end the dispute with DHL and other agencies providing services to Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), in a move that could avert industrial action.
The row centres around pay demands and although Unite is not specifying any wage settlement detail, its backing of a deal for agencies including DHL Supply Chain, considerably defuses the potential for any walk-out.
"After a year of tough negotiations, we now have a settlement Unite can recommend to its members," said Unite executive officer, Tony Woodley.
"This is a significant deal which finally gives equality of pay across the board to thousands of people who have been working for four companies providing services to JLR. It also means over 600 agency workers will be made permanent with DHL.
"Unite's joint negotiating committee is unanimously recommending the settlement to the members who will vote in the next two weeks."
The employers involved in the negotiations were: DHL, NAC, Staffline and Milestones.
Any industrial action could have seen major disruption at JLR's Castle Bromwich, Solihull and Hams Hall plants,.
Neither Jaguar Land Rover or DHL Supply Chain were immediately available for comment.
Jaguar Land Rover has proved itself to be a strong and stable business in spite of the economic downturn, with good sales results in both developing and developed markets. Despite some difficult years...
Plimsoll Publishing’s LAND ROVER DEALERS (UK) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the LAND ROVER DEALERS (UK) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top 60 companies, incl...
Plimsoll Publishing’s JAGUAR CAR DEALERS (UK) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the JAGUAR CAR DEALERS (UK) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top 50 companies, incl...
Truck Manufacturing in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and foreca...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- PSA issues new business plan
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028