One of Russia's leading four-wheel drive car makers is planning to double output in the next five years, according to the company's general director.

Pavel Lezhankin said that UAZ, which also manufactures trucks, expects to achieve this by expanding both production capacity and modernising equipment.

These plans will cost approximately $US90 million, which UAZ will meet by increasing car prices and cutting component prices.

The company aims to increase output to 90,000 vehicles this year, an increase of 5.9 percent, 45 percent of which will be cars, with trucks making up the remaining 55 percent.