UK: Two bidders competing for Aston Martin stake - reports
Reports suggest that Kuwaiti investment group Investment Dar, which brought Aston Martin from Ford in 2007, is now looking to sell a 50% stake in the UK-based luxury sports car firm Aston Martin (perhaps best known as the car of choice for fictional British secret agent James Bond). A sale to Investindustrial was close to agreement last week, before M&M stepped in with a higher offer, according to reports. Investment Dar is seeking to reduce its debt with the proceeds, reports suggest, and is also keen to address questions surrounding future model development and funding.
A source quoted by Reuters said that Investindustrial had bid between GBP200m and GBP250m for the stake, and sees its proposal as technically superior, including a technical partnership deal with Mercedes-Benz.
However, the apparent interest of India-based M&M – a specialist maker of utility vehicles – raises memories of Tata's acquisition of Jaguar Land Rover from Ford, which M&M was also interested in acquiring at the time. Acquiring Aston Martin would give the ambitious group a globally recognised premium automotive brand. Some analysts say, however, that an Aston Martin bid from M&M may be something of a 'vanity project', with few obvious industrial synergies or overlaps between the two companies present.
Mahindra & Mahindra Limited - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysi...
Trucks in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descriptions...
Daimler is reportedly in early talks with Aston Martin over a supply arrangement to Aston Martin that is thought to involve Mercedes engines....
Car Manufacturing in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). Th...
Tesla has named Aston Martin's vehicle engineering head, Chris Porritt, as its new vice president of vehicle engineering....
Light Trucks in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descri...
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- COMMENT: Russian auto jitters in Crimea poker
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- Jaguar recruits Beckham as China brand ambassador
- Geely to axe domestic brands
- Tata mulls platform collaboration with Chery
- Car sales in Western Europe up 5.1% in February
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028