UK: Two bidders competing for Aston Martin stake - reports
Reports suggest that Kuwaiti investment group Investment Dar, which brought Aston Martin from Ford in 2007, is now looking to sell a 50% stake in the UK-based luxury sports car firm Aston Martin (perhaps best known as the car of choice for fictional British secret agent James Bond). A sale to Investindustrial was close to agreement last week, before M&M stepped in with a higher offer, according to reports. Investment Dar is seeking to reduce its debt with the proceeds, reports suggest, and is also keen to address questions surrounding future model development and funding.
A source quoted by Reuters said that Investindustrial had bid between GBP200m and GBP250m for the stake, and sees its proposal as technically superior, including a technical partnership deal with Mercedes-Benz.
However, the apparent interest of India-based M&M – a specialist maker of utility vehicles – raises memories of Tata's acquisition of Jaguar Land Rover from Ford, which M&M was also interested in acquiring at the time. Acquiring Aston Martin would give the ambitious group a globally recognised premium automotive brand. Some analysts say, however, that an Aston Martin bid from M&M may be something of a 'vanity project', with few obvious industrial synergies or overlaps between the two companies present.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Automotive Engineering Service market in India to grow at a CAGR of 18.22 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth...
Daimler is reportedly in early talks with Aston Martin over a supply arrangement to Aston Martin that is thought to involve Mercedes engines....
Tesla has named Aston Martin's vehicle engineering head, Chris Porritt, as its new vice president of vehicle engineering....
Aston Martin has confirmed that the Investindustrial partnership previously announced in December 2012 has been completed....
Toyota Kirloskar Motor has announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services to extend auto retail finance to its prospective customers....
BMW is to start assembling its Mini Countryman at its plant in Chennai, India, later this year....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (1)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- JLR looks to increase home supply content
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Ford announces new engine investment for Dagenham
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)