US: TRW investing in development of brake systems for alternative powertrains
TRW Automotive says it is working hard to develop advanced brake systems suitable for traditional internal combustion engines or for alternative powertrains such as hybrids and electric vehicles.
TRW has recently been awarded significant contracts for its EBC 460 Premium system in multiple regions including its Premium (P) and Premium Hybrid (PH) technology. Based on its proven electronic stability control (ESC) family and in particular TRW's EBC 460 six-piston pump technology, the ESC braking system can deliver high levels of brake pressure rapidly and allows in its PH form for partial regenerative braking. These premium systems offer rapid apply function that is particularly beneficial for automatic emergency braking, a function increasingly required going forward. The Premium Hybrid version is an excellent solution for mild hybrids.
"Advanced electronically controlled and integrated brake systems will fill an important role as vehicles are driven to deliver higher levels of fuel efficiency," said Josef Pickenhahn, vice president, brake engineering for TRW.
As more powertrains move away from internal combustion engines to direct injection, diesels, hybrids and electrics, brake systems will need to be able to deliver brake pressure independent of vacuum from the engine. ESC PH has been developed as a partial regenerative braking solution but, looking to the future, we continue to develop integrated brake apply and control solutions to meet the needs of both hybrid, electric and combustion engines. This will allow vehicle manufacturers to fit the same braking solution across a platform regardless of powertrain selection."
TRW's next generation systems will again be demonstrated to vehicle manufacturers during winter vehicle testing. This solution will deliver enhanced levels of integration and performance for the vehicles of the future.
TRW will launch the ESC PH on multiple platforms and in multiple regions beginning in 2015. The next generation system will be ready for production for 2017 MY applications.
For some time, electric power steering (EPS) has dominated the mass-market in a number of major car-producing regions, helped by its ability to improve fuel economy and save designers valuable space. ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
As we enter the next chapter of occupant restraints - which focuses more on individual safety for different occupants or crash configurations - Matthew Beecham talked with senior executives of TRW Aut...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle electronic braking sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. U...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global OE automotive foundation braking sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use ...
Active safety systems and driver assistance technologies are a high-growth area of the automotive business. Global OE fitment levels for driver assistance systems (DAS) are forecast to rise sharply, l...
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- Regulatory concerns grow in China
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- Cadillac takes on Merc S Class
- Serious concern on Russia auto sanction rumours
- China levies big fines on Japanese parts makers
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times