Over six generations, the ES - not sold in Europe - has become the brand's most popular passenger vehicle.
"Over almost a quarter of a century, ES has established itself as the benchmark for comfort, refinement, quality and undeniably high specification," said executive vice president of Lexus International, Mark Templin.
Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley said that the return of the ES later this year demonstrates the significance of the Australian market for Lexus.
"For 15 years ES built and retained a strong and loyal customer following and we are thrilled to reintroduce this model to Australia," Hanley said.
"The return of ES to Australia has been the result of customer demand and Lexus' desire to offer unique vehicles to Australian customers.
Launched in the US in 1989, the first generation, Camry-based ES was an executive sedan that was extremely well specified.
The second generation ES, launched in 1991, solidified the nameplate's comfort, space, refinement and reliability credentials.
Sold until 1997, the ES 300 was replaced by a redesigned third generation model that was longer and significantly stiffer - but again extremely well specified for the time.
In 2001 the fourth generation was launched - accounting for almost one fifth of Lexus global sales at the time.
The redesigned ES300 received a new three litre quad cam V6 and many features from the LS 430 of the time.
In 2006, Lexus launched the fifth generation ES but in left hand drive only - ceasing the nameplate's presence in right hand drive markets.
During its time on sale, the fifth generation ES received a new 3.5 litre V6 developing over 200kW of power.
In 2012, Lexus launched the redesigned ES with two new drivetrains, a 204kW 3.5 litre all-alloy quad cam V6 in the ES350 and a 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle I4 hybrid in the ES300h - and returned to right hand drive production.
Business Monitor International's Egypt Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independen...
Business Monitor International's Australia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with indepe...
The number of automobiles sold by Toyota and its two Chinese JV partners - China FAW and Guangzhou Automobile - in March 2014 totalled 90,400 units, an increase of 19% from the same month in 2013, Ecn...
Higher fines and jail time reportedly are being considered by US lawmakers who questioned General Motors CEO Mary Barra over why it took years to recall 2.6m cars for faulty ignition switches....
The ignition switch recall is raising anxiety in General Motors showrooms in the US, dealers who increasingly are fielding calls from customers concerned about the safety of GM cars, are reporting....
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030