JAPAN: Toyota's Lexus builds 1.5m ES
Over six generations, the ES - not sold in Europe - has become the brand's most popular passenger vehicle.
"Over almost a quarter of a century, ES has established itself as the benchmark for comfort, refinement, quality and undeniably high specification," said executive vice president of Lexus International, Mark Templin.
Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley said that the return of the ES later this year demonstrates the significance of the Australian market for Lexus.
"For 15 years ES built and retained a strong and loyal customer following and we are thrilled to reintroduce this model to Australia," Hanley said.
"The return of ES to Australia has been the result of customer demand and Lexus' desire to offer unique vehicles to Australian customers.
Launched in the US in 1989, the first generation, Camry-based ES was an executive sedan that was extremely well specified.
The second generation ES, launched in 1991, solidified the nameplate's comfort, space, refinement and reliability credentials.
Sold until 1997, the ES 300 was replaced by a redesigned third generation model that was longer and significantly stiffer - but again extremely well specified for the time.
In 2001 the fourth generation was launched - accounting for almost one fifth of Lexus global sales at the time.
The redesigned ES300 received a new three litre quad cam V6 and many features from the LS 430 of the time.
In 2006, Lexus launched the fifth generation ES but in left hand drive only - ceasing the nameplate's presence in right hand drive markets.
During its time on sale, the fifth generation ES received a new 3.5 litre V6 developing over 200kW of power.
In 2012, Lexus launched the redesigned ES with two new drivetrains, a 204kW 3.5 litre all-alloy quad cam V6 in the ES350 and a 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle I4 hybrid in the ES300h - and returned to right hand drive production.
Toyota Industries Corporation (6201) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been co...
Business Monitor International's Egypt Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independen...
Business Monitor International's Australia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with indepe...
The number of automobiles sold by Toyota and its two Chinese JV partners - China FAW and Guangzhou Automobile - in March 2014 totalled 90,400 units, an increase of 19% from the same month in 2013, Ecn...
Kazakhstan & Uzbekistan Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and...
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (2)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- SWEDEN: NEVS/Saab enters administration
- Volvo to skip all-aluminium for carbon fibre
- SWEDEN: Redesign moves XC90 up market in UK
- Kia to build new plant for American markets
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018