JAPAN: Toyota's Lexus builds 1.5m ES
Over six generations, the ES - not sold in Europe - has become the brand's most popular passenger vehicle.
"Over almost a quarter of a century, ES has established itself as the benchmark for comfort, refinement, quality and undeniably high specification," said executive vice president of Lexus International, Mark Templin.
Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley said that the return of the ES later this year demonstrates the significance of the Australian market for Lexus.
"For 15 years ES built and retained a strong and loyal customer following and we are thrilled to reintroduce this model to Australia," Hanley said.
"The return of ES to Australia has been the result of customer demand and Lexus' desire to offer unique vehicles to Australian customers.
Launched in the US in 1989, the first generation, Camry-based ES was an executive sedan that was extremely well specified.
The second generation ES, launched in 1991, solidified the nameplate's comfort, space, refinement and reliability credentials.
Sold until 1997, the ES 300 was replaced by a redesigned third generation model that was longer and significantly stiffer - but again extremely well specified for the time.
In 2001 the fourth generation was launched - accounting for almost one fifth of Lexus global sales at the time.
The redesigned ES300 received a new three litre quad cam V6 and many features from the LS 430 of the time.
In 2006, Lexus launched the fifth generation ES but in left hand drive only - ceasing the nameplate's presence in right hand drive markets.
During its time on sale, the fifth generation ES received a new 3.5 litre V6 developing over 200kW of power.
In 2012, Lexus launched the redesigned ES with two new drivetrains, a 204kW 3.5 litre all-alloy quad cam V6 in the ES350 and a 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle I4 hybrid in the ES300h - and returned to right hand drive production.
Business Monitor International's Egypt Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independen...
Business Monitor International's Australia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with indepe...
Kazakhstan & Uzbekistan Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and...
The number of automobiles sold by Toyota and its two Chinese JV partners - China FAW and Guangzhou Automobile - in March 2014 totalled 90,400 units, an increase of 19% from the same month in 2013, Ecn...
Higher fines and jail time reportedly are being considered by US lawmakers who questioned General Motors CEO Mary Barra over why it took years to recall 2.6m cars for faulty ignition switches....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030