JAPAN: Toyota's Lexus builds 1.5m ES
Over six generations, the ES - not sold in Europe - has become the brand's most popular passenger vehicle.
"Over almost a quarter of a century, ES has established itself as the benchmark for comfort, refinement, quality and undeniably high specification," said executive vice president of Lexus International, Mark Templin.
Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley said that the return of the ES later this year demonstrates the significance of the Australian market for Lexus.
"For 15 years ES built and retained a strong and loyal customer following and we are thrilled to reintroduce this model to Australia," Hanley said.
"The return of ES to Australia has been the result of customer demand and Lexus' desire to offer unique vehicles to Australian customers.
Launched in the US in 1989, the first generation, Camry-based ES was an executive sedan that was extremely well specified.
The second generation ES, launched in 1991, solidified the nameplate's comfort, space, refinement and reliability credentials.
Sold until 1997, the ES 300 was replaced by a redesigned third generation model that was longer and significantly stiffer - but again extremely well specified for the time.
In 2001 the fourth generation was launched - accounting for almost one fifth of Lexus global sales at the time.
The redesigned ES300 received a new three litre quad cam V6 and many features from the LS 430 of the time.
In 2006, Lexus launched the fifth generation ES but in left hand drive only - ceasing the nameplate's presence in right hand drive markets.
During its time on sale, the fifth generation ES received a new 3.5 litre V6 developing over 200kW of power.
In 2012, Lexus launched the redesigned ES with two new drivetrains, a 204kW 3.5 litre all-alloy quad cam V6 in the ES350 and a 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle I4 hybrid in the ES300h - and returned to right hand drive production.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The number of automobiles sold by Toyota and its two Chinese JV partners - China FAW and Guangzhou Automobile - in March 2014 totalled 90,400 units, an increase of 19% from the same month in 2013, Ecn...
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028