JAPAN: Toyota to hire 300 contract workers to meet stronger demand
Toyota will hire around 300 contract [temporary] workers in Japan from mid-March to mid-April because new car sales are exceeding expectations, company officials said.
This will be the first time the automaker has hired contract workers since June last year and comes amid brisk sales of cars including the redesigned Crown luxury sedan that hit the market in late December.
The number of contract workers at Toyota totaled some 2,200 at 31 January, Kyodo News said.
The company plans to turn out 1,000 more vehicles per day compared with its earlier projection to boost daily output to about 13,000 units in April.
It is also considering raising its domestic sales projection for this year. Last December it said it expected to sell 1.4m vehicles in Japan, down nearly 20% year on year, due to the end to the government subsidy programme for eco-friendly car purchases in December.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Details of concepts and new models which made their global debuts on 30 August at the media preview day of the Chengdu motor show....
FAW Group has reportedly signed a Memorandum of Understanding to construct a vehicle plant in Rason, a port city in North Korea's far north east, close to the Chinese and Russian borders....
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- Q&A with Ricardo on future powertrain technology
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- Briefing: Tomorrow's steering systems
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- JLR clarifies ASEAN expansion goals
- Negative pricing pressure in China - Ford
- Chery spearheads China’s auto export drive
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030