US: Toyota to boost satellite radio availability
Toyota will "significantly" increase the availability of SiriusXM satellite radio across its US vehicle range during 2013.
Satellite radio will now be standard with most of the automaker's multimedia systems. For some models this will be the first time SiriusXM is standard with all trim levels. It will also be standard on all vehicles equipped with the popular, new 'Entune' system.
Steve Cook, a senior SiriusXM executive said: "Satellite radio is easy to use and according to a national survey it is a top feature for customers buying vehicles with new multi-media systems."
Toyota Motor Sales, USA has offered satellite radio since 2004.
Originally, US new car buyers were offered competing 'Sirius' and 'XM' brands but these have since merged in much the same way as competing satellite TV services in the UK over the last couple of decades.
Toyota provides customers purchasing new vehicles a factory-equipped satellite radio with three-month SiriusXM subscription for services like commercial-free music, premier sports talk and live events, comedy, news, and exclusive talk and entertainment.
Some indication of satellite radio's popularity in the US comes from its inclusion in some basic, rental fleet models while items like power windows, locks and mirrors remain cost options.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive connectivity sector, major applications, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
Toyota's Prius hybrid again topped the January-June car sales ranking in Japan, including minivehicles, an auto industry group said....
A total of 12,790 imported cars were sold in South Korea in June, up 20.9% on the same month last year but down 4.6% on May, the Korea Automobile Importers and Distributors Association said....
The hybrid version of Honda's next generation Fit (Jazz in some markets) will be the world's most fuel-efficient car, beating current leader Toyota's Prius c (Aqua in Japan)....
New vehicle sales in Taiwan increased by 7.6% year on year to 32,579 in June, according to industry sources....
The Corolla and HiLux were Australia's two best-selling vehicles so far this year, Toyota Australia said, citing official industry data....
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- General Motors' platform strategy decoded
- Peugeot steps up a gear with new 3008
- Romanian PM asks Ford for more
- Ford recalls 271,000 F-150s for brake job
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle turbochargers market - forecasts to 2030