JAPAN: Toyota to boost April domestic output
Toyota will increase domestic output in April by around 10% from original plans as sales track higher than expected and the weaker yen helps raise the profitability of exports.
Anticipating new vehicle sales would decline after the end of the eco-car subsidies last year, the automaker had planned to reduce daily output from roughly 14,000 vehicles in the January-March period to some 12,000, the Nikkei reported.
But recent sales have been strong, with the new Crown luxury sedan released in December and the Aqua [Prius C] compact hybrid providing a boost. Exports to North America have also improved because of the yen's depreciation.
As a result, Toyota will raise daily production for April by around 1,000 vehicles to a little over 13,000, and is considering maintaining that level in May, the report said.
The company is seen logging its first nonconsolidated operating profit in five years in fiscal 2012. It will likely hire more seasonal workers to accommodate the production increase.
Toyota projected at the end of last year that domestic sales in 2013 would shrink by 17% to 1.4m units. But the revised output plans as they stand now would raise that figure by around 50,000 units. Production levels for June and beyond will be decided based on market trends.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
The battle over air conditioning refrigerant between Mercedes-Benz and France (more or less repping the EU) continued this week with neither side showing signs of backing down....
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: World premieres
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028